Looking for feedback on my roasting profile: light roast costa rican terrazu

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
fatjoe8

#1: Post by fatjoe8 »

I've roasted quite a bit on my machine and usually just let it run its autoroast and use the tips from the HappyMug website about when to eject...my coffee is typically ok but def missing the tasting notes often.

Almico

#2: Post by Almico »

I am not familiar with Hot Tops so take this will several grains of salt:

Roast overall is undesirably long. 10-12 minutes is a good target. Good news is much of the added time is in the dry phase. Easily remedied with a hotter charge temp.

RoR drops during ramp and then rises significantly approaching 1C. This is also remedied with hotter charge temp. The roaster doesn't have enough initial energy and you're making up for it with excessive heat mid-roast.

1C starting at 361 is a bit low. Most small roasters reach 1C around 380-390 and Artisan needs to me modified to get to 370 1C. Probe type/location?

Recommendation: charge hotter. Try to get turning point between 175 and 200*. If you can hit 300* (dry end) in 5:00, that would cut 3 minutes off your overall roast time and you'd be in good shape. If the roaster can't do this, try less beans.

My roasting philosophy is to try and get as much heat energy into the beans early on without scorching or tipping. Then reduce heat throughout the roast. Ideally, I do not want to be increasing my heat setting during the roast, only lowering it as the beans lose moisture.

GC7

#3: Post by GC7 »

I roasted on a HotTop for over 10 years before switching to a Bullet a few months ago.

The HotTop does not have enough power to roast their stated batch sizes efficiently. Alan explained your problem well. By the time I sold my HotTop I was using 215 gm batch sizes. This helps a lot. Even then you need to be sure the temperature of the beans you add to the heated roaster are not too cold or your dry time will be too long.