Learning to roast on Quest M3s - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TonyC

#41: Post by TonyC »

I noticed that in posting their roasts profiles, both CWILLI62 and RobtL show heat settings with 3 digits in them. In the first case (post 31) I see D100 for heat, and in the others (posts 21 and 26) I see B120.

Could either of you (or others) let me know how you set up Artisan to record your heat in 3 digits? I use K-O-W and want to track watts (110 for 1100, 105 for 1050, etc) and while I am able to do if I setup specific tabs in artisan, these change frequently, and did not work well for me.

I am now using direct keyboard shortcut feature in artisan (using W and 2 digits for Watts and R and two digits for Fan). It is my understanding that Artisan only allows 2 digits for this (I would like 3). Does anyone know of a way to use keyboard feature for directly entry of heat and air, but using 3 digits? I am using Artisan 2.4

Does anyone have simple solution to this issue? Thanks in advance!

Cwilli62 (original poster)

#42: Post by Cwilli62 (original poster) » replying to TonyC »

I don't know anything about the keyboard shortcuts. But for my buttons on the drum heat settings I simply did, Configure>Events>Buttons. From there you can tinker around and set values up to 999.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Beanz

#43: Post by Beanz »

TonyC wrote:
I am now using direct keyboard shortcut feature in artisan (using W and 2 digits for Watts and R and two digits for Fan). It is my understanding that Artisan only allows 2 digits for this (I would like 3). Does anyone know of a way to use keyboard feature for directly entry of heat and air, but using 3 digits? I am using Artisan 2.4

Does anyone have simple solution to this issue? Thanks in advance!
You can set up Buttons and Sliders which will show the value you set. The buttons will limit you to the preset parameters you have defined but the addition of sliders will give you the full range and note on the graph where you move it to each time.
"Sliders can be used to create Events as well. The sliders appear on the left side and can be used to input a variable value between 0 and 999. Make sure you check Decimal Places under Curves>UI if you use them. Your events will be rendered on your graphs (if you have the Events checked on the Sliders tab) with the first letter of the name of the event and two decimal places. So Gas at a value of 35 would be G35. Or if you don't check decimal places G3."

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/events/

TonyC

#44: Post by TonyC »

Cwilli62-Thanks for response, I used to use buttons as well, but after using them for about 50 roasts, was finding that I often enter a less precise number, and find that my button did not correspond, e.g., change heat to 950W and my buttons are 900W or 1000W (I know I could change them, but then next time might have another # that does not correspond to button I had set up). This is how I 'stumbled on' the direct shortcut entry in Artisan (using W+2 digits or R+2 digits for heat/fan respectively). I like this method, as I can then set heat, say 940 watts, then quickly use W94 for 940 watts, and don't have to worry about what my buttons were labeled as.

Problem is, that (as far as I know) artisan only allows 2 digits for this direct form of entry, so that if I want to dial in 1100 watts, gets a bit more challanging (unless someone knows if newest version of Artisan allows 3 digits?).

Beanz - Thanks for suggestions on sliders, have heard of them before, but was assuming that they might not be as quick as direct entry as described above. I can envision myself dialing in 890 Watts, then fooling with the slider b/t 875 and 900 to get the correct number. I will try these out, as perhaps they might be easier than I have anticipated, and the solution to getting to 3 digits for tracking watts quickly!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Nunas »

Cwilli62 wrote:I am having a really tough time getting a good roast. I roast outside so I took a break for the coldest months of winter but now the outside temps where I live are nice during the day. All of my roasts are quite underdeveloped. Shown here is my most recent roast session. On these, I was trying to push the heat at the beginning of the roast. I ALWAYS have trouble keeping my ET down. It ventures into 600F, sometimes as high as 625F though I try my best to keep it lower but find it hard. It has been said that for this machine's health it is best to keep the ET much lower. "D" is drum setting in Amps (I am still not using the Kill A Watt though I know it would help) expressed as if there is a decimal before the last digit (ex: 100 is 10.0, 85 is 8.5). "A" is fan speed using the same concept. 8.5 is the highest setting on my machine. A friend recently suggested that on previous roasts I was not getting enough airflow so I tried starting it on full speed and leaving it there the whole roast. Any suggestions or ideas?

Kenya Nyeri Kiandu AB
Ambient temp around 65F
114 g per batch

Casey, I'm rather late to this discussion. I had an M3-Mk2 (solid drum and always some fan). It was a very forgiving roaster. Now I have an M6, which I think is more like your M3s (perforated drum back, ash chute on the bottom, two air intake vents on either side of the chute, and fan off when fully CCW). Like you, I was having an awful time, including really high MET. I made a mod to the M6 by adding a trimpot across the fan control /roasting/b ... 72747.html. This gave me a really slow fan when fully CCW. It made all the difference in the world...really tamed the roaster. Also, I second the comment about making sure the ash drawer is fully closed; I inadvertently had it open a bit and the roaster was nearly uncontrollable.

Journeyjava

#46: Post by Journeyjava »

Talk about "late to the show!" I'm very late....

First, "Thanks to Nunas for his great manual. I read on Sweet Maria's about his work and visited his work recently. Excellent job! Also my apologies to the group for making a post on his manual thread. It should have been posted here.

I've been roasting over 30 years. You name it I've probably roasted with it. Small entry level roasters to larger commercial units. I've moved and downsized. The M6 is now my roaster for the last 18 months. Big enough for my needs but not too small. I love this roaster.

Setting the stage let me say, "I'm totally not aligned with mods." I roast by smell, sight, sound, and a timer. I am a fan of chemistry and follow the guru's recommendations but I always resort to "The cup." After reading through this thread I'll say my M-6 has had a very small learning curve, easy to control, and a bit slow to respond to control changes during the roast. So I've found, "Don't try too hard." Find a good repeatable recipe and stick with it. Generally I do the same batch size, drop temp, fan changes, and roast temp.
15oz batches
360 degree f. drop temp setting at 11 amp
5 min dry time with no fan
Fan up to 3 at 5 min.
FC at 9-10 min
Fan up to 4.5 and drop amps to 5
Stretch FC to two minutes
Generally roast to medium roast and drop between 20-50 seconds after ending FC.
Generally try to turn fan up full blast for 10 sec. Before drop. I try to avoid getting to SC.
All this will vary on batch size and variety. Espresso is the exception and of course customer desire.

Hope this is useful to those who are intuitive roasters.

TonyC

#47: Post by TonyC »

Journeyjava,

Your roast profile sounds interesting, fairly simple, but a couple of Q's for you:
1. What is your pre-heat process? Do you ramp up @ 11 amps, then drop as passing through 360F+- or pre-heat, then cycle down to 360F and then set to 11 amps?
2. With 'no fan' assume this means M6 has similar fan setup as M3s, i.e., fan still running at 0?
3. I am using M3s, and interested in how this profile could be scaled down to handle 200g load on that machine.

Any others have simple 'base' profile they are using on M3s using 200g loads? Thanks for sharing.