Learning to roast on Quest M3s - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
appfrent

#11: Post by appfrent »

Peppersass wrote:Great stuff. Some comments:

8. As for focusing on Smell and Watch, with the M3 drum I can't use the tryer because removing it causes substantial change in airflow. I have to sniff around the exhaust, which is connected to a vent, and look through the sight glass. I'm hoping the greater airflow with the M3s drum will make it possible to use the tryer.
I got a powerful flashlight (natural tone not bright white) for sight and that helps a lot. As I roast in daylight, it's kind of hard to see through window otherwise. For smell I rely on exhaust too but directly at the roaster. Being in SoCal, I can afford to roast outdoors. I am not there yet in picking aromas predictably. Sometimes, I can smell nice aromas to guide the drop, other time I smell nothing pleasant but roast still turns out well. Maybe, I should try opening the trier just a crack to get a whiff, with well tried roasts. Even though I am not there yet in mastering aroma, my roast quality has improved really significantly with just these two changes. 1) Cutting heat more aggressively 2) Not looking at computer screen after first crack starts.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

Beanz

#12: Post by Beanz »

appfrent wrote:Judging from the responses here fan settings on different roaster models/units may be very different. For me, there just a modest increase from 1 to 9 and 1 already has a very robust airflow. Hence, the reason to leave it alone and increase at the end. Everything else fits a pattern with minor nuances.
Speaking from the experience of a failed fan control circuit it sounds as if one of the capacitors in the speed control circuit has failed. This will have the fan running at full speed or with a reduced level of speed control where the fan goes from slow to full speed as if throwing a switch instead of a controlled increase. You should be seeing different fan seeds at say 1, 4, 6 and 10 settings, you will probably only use 4 and 10 when roasting
The 120V version may use different rated capacitors but the 240V version I increased the voltage rating of the capacitors to avoid further failures, they were breaking down / failing which triggers the full speed. I suspect capacitor values may vary between models so the circuit below is just a guide. Note Image courtesy of another HB thread

appfrent

#13: Post by appfrent » replying to Beanz »

Jules, thank you for insight into fan control. I am sure this knowledge will come handy someday. However, I do not think my fan is going to max at 1 and staying about there when I move to 9. I can feel airflow increase gradually as I move from 1 to 9, indicating that my electronics is fine/ok. Its just that 1 already is a very good flow and then there is modest increase till 9. So, the range of change is much shallower than I expected (and I have nothing else to compare :D ). I do not think I have an airflow problem, so nothing to solve as yet; its just that translating these 1 to 9 between different roasters can be apples and oranges. If I was single and not minimalist, I would have ordered anemometer before writing this post :D.
Forget four M's, four S's are more important :-)- see, sniff, sip and savor....

Jonk

#14: Post by Jonk »

This is the case for my Quest M3 as well. Decent flow already on 1, still noticeably higher along a smooth curve as I adjust towards 9. AFAIK the dials are just hard wired at a higher minimum setting for some of us to make sure that the fan won't stall.

costaricacoffee

#15: Post by costaricacoffee »

Dokkie wrote:I'd actually recommend maxing out the airflow for the entire roast. The airflow is pretty low even at the max. I've charged anywhere from 150 to 400 grams (extreme, drum will barely hold it). Best results with a 150 to 250 gram charge. Funny enough even the 400 gram charge I can get to 1C in 8 minutes, albeit with a bit higher charge temperature. The elements are pretty strong.

I've attached 2 graphs, Ywagwan is 250 grams and 215 roaster scope is 150 grams.

Can you send a picture of your Artisan settings for ROR? I'd love to get my curves to look smoother like that!

leftiesrule
Supporter

#16: Post by leftiesrule »

Dokkie wrote:I'd actually recommend maxing out the airflow for the entire roast. The airflow is pretty low even at the max. I've charged anywhere from 150 to 400 grams (extreme, drum will barely hold it). Best results with a 150 to 250 gram charge. Funny enough even the 400 gram charge I can get to 1C in 8 minutes, albeit with a bit higher charge temperature. The elements are pretty strong.

I've attached 2 graphs, Ywagwan is 250 grams and 215 roaster scope is 150 grams.

Thanks for posting your curves. Could you help me understand what a heat setting of 36 refers to? Is that amps, watts, or something else? Also what heat setting do you normally charge your beans at? Thx

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#17: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Note: Delta span has to be twice the sampling rate to have an impact.

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/curves/
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Dokkie

#18: Post by Dokkie »

leftiesrule wrote: Thanks for posting your curves. Could you help me understand what a heat setting of 36 refers to? Is that amps, watts, or something else? Also what heat setting do you normally charge your beans at? Thx
It's amps, I'm on 240V though, so for 120V you should double. I charge between 170-200, depending on the batch size.
costaricacoffee wrote:Can you send a picture of your Artisan settings for ROR? I'd love to get my curves to look smoother like that!
I'll try to make a screenshot, later this day. I have quite a lot of noise in my graphs, so I smooth quite a lot, or there's just no info to be seen for me.

These are my filters:

RobertL

#19: Post by RobertL »

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a new Quest owner and I appreciate others sharing their experiences. I've been reading as many threads about the Quest as I can find. I've owned several roasters before this one including a Hottop and Huky. I'm finding the Quest to have a steeper learning curve compared to the others. Hopefully it will be more rewarding at the end of the day.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Marcelnl »

36 AMPs, let's make sure that is milli amps before someone tries to push 72 Amps in a fan at 110V :lol:
LMWDP #483