LaMinita Gesha for Espresso - Costa Rica Finca El Melico Washed

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Costa Rica Finca El Melico Washed Gesha from PrimeGreen Coffee. Most people don't think of Gesha for espresso; why not; thoroughly enjoying this cup.
Stonefruit, citrus, hibiscus, chocolate, sweet finish and complex as it cools.

This coffee comes from Hacienda La Minita on one of their micro-lot farms called Finca El Melico. Finca Melico has one of the most unique micro climates, it is a north western facing bowl that maintains cooler temps than elsewhere on the farm. This allows for slower maturation of the cherry and increased sugar content.
La Minita has been one of my favorite places for Costa Rican coffee.
Below is how I roasted it, and I am sipping slowly (not something I always do with my espresso) and savoring the sips. It's sweet and delicious. Seems more chocolate on the back end especially as it cools. Highly recommended.

A note on the spelling - the varitetal name comes from the Gori Gesha forest in Ethiopia, which was then shortened to just "gesha" but some prefer to use "geisha" which makes people think of Japan, so I just use Gesha.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by pcofftenyo »

I too love a good Gesha espresso. Sweet Maria's Panamanian Esmeralda is divine!

I don't slam them either. Sort of like with those highly structured Ethiopian's that I lolllygag around with.

EvanOz85

#3: Post by EvanOz85 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Most people don't think of Gesha for espresso; why not; thoroughly enjoying this cup.
How long did you rest the coffee after roasting, and what temps/ratios are you pulling it? I'm about to order some from PGM.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:but some prefer to use "geisha" which makes people think of Japan, so I just use Gesha.
I prefer to use Geisha just because it pisses off people who whine about it on behalf of the (non-existent) hordes of offended Geishas. See: https://sprudge.com/stop-calling-it-gei ... 36137.html

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

@EvanOz85

I didn't change my normal temp. 92.7C or 199F.
Hadn't thought about that yet.
Just got an MC6 and too many other workflow adjustments still in progress so that didn't dawn on me. I have mostly been comparing my old Flat with Titanium Mythos burrs.

But it's now 3 days rest so I wanted to try it.

Ratio was 1:2.3. 20 in 46 out. In part just based on observation.

I was really surprised about how nice it was.

If my cats would let me sleep this evening, maybe I can give it more focus. I will also try the Guatemala COE that PGC is selling.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

EvanOz85 wrote: I prefer to use Geisha just because it pisses off people who whine about it on behalf of the (non-existent) hordes of offended Geishas. See: https://sprudge.com/stop-calling-it-gei ... 36137.html
Enjoy your Giesha espresso while you are at it.
LMWDP #580

EvanOz85

#6: Post by EvanOz85 replying to LBIespresso »

I've very rarely been able to pull a fantastic shot from Geishas. I don't find that the qualities that make them worth the premium price for filter, really shine through espresso shots. I still usually try a shot or two whenever I have some on-hand though.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso »

That should have read Geisha e(x)presso but clearly HB won't even let me type that and autocorrects.
LMWDP #580

EvanOz85

#8: Post by EvanOz85 replying to LBIespresso »

Geisha is a widely accepted name for this coffee, and has apparently been in use since the 1930's. If I ever hear of a legit Japanese Geisha entertainer complaining about the name, maybe I'll give two hoots :lol:

Chert

#9: Post by Chert »

The best giesha is a gusha, turbo style. :lol:
LMWDP #198

GDM528

#10: Post by GDM528 »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Below is how I roasted it,
That's a remarkably well-controlled RoR curve, and has what looks like a deliberate kink downward, right at first crack. Is the roasting strategy to limit the rise after first crack - but not the duration? So, a well-developed light roast?