Kenya Embu Gakui Peaberry is back - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC »

Legend_217 wrote:I just finished roasting 150g in 9 minutes on my hottop. Is it only me that 1C is very subtle and only last about 30 seconds or less ?
First crack was very brief for me as well.

Opening the bag that I brought to work tonight was just like walking into a Dunkin' Donuts early morning and catching a whiff. It's very pleasantly sweet fresh glazed donut smelling. The brew is good, very sweet but there's no flavor separation yet. I'll know more in a few days but I expect good things. I'm still eyeing my Baratza Virtuoso work grinder sideways. The grind visually is very consistent and even (surprisingly even), but doesn't yield the flavor separation and highlights of any of my better grinders. Even my hand grinders that aren't visibly as even, still turn out better flavor separation. But that's enough off-topic blather.

Looking forward to hearing others' thoughts.

EvanOz85 (original poster)

#12: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Opening the bag that I brought to work tonight was just like walking into a Dunkin' Donuts early morning and catching a whiff. It's very pleasantly sweet fresh glazed donut smelling.
Sounds very promising, as I distinctly remember the 2014 crop having a pastry-like smell a few days after roasting. I think I found the bean to start peaking around 5 days post roast back then. Should have mine delivered tomorrow.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
olutheros

#13: Post by olutheros »

trying mine I roasted last night: 8:45 total roast time, 1:18/15% development, dropped +13 degrees after first crack at 12.8% weight loss. it's pretty nice, lots of cranberry/currant with maple syrup type sweetness and some spice

maybe not extraordinary (relative to the bunch of other excellent kenyan coffees i've got from SM at the moment -- never tried the batch years ago y'all did) but lots of sweetness and very tasty

#14: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) » replying to olutheros »

It needs significantly more rest than that to make any kind of judgements, really.

olutheros

#15: Post by olutheros » replying to EvanOz85 »

it's not a judgment it's an opinion i'm posting on a message board about how it cupped day after roast relative to some similar coffees roasted and cupped at the same time (and i thought it also very good! -- i preferred it to the gatugi aa and ichamama ab from sweetmaria's i cupped alongside it, as it had way more up front sweetness). no doubt it'll get better with rest.

bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by bicktrav » replying to olutheros »

I've been eyeing that Gatugi for the stone fruit notes they list. Did it deliver? What was your overall impression of it?

olutheros

#17: Post by olutheros » replying to bicktrav »

i did not get any stonefruit, but my impression is that it was more closed off than the gakui was, so i doubt not being able to taste it right now means much -- like i could tell that there was good sweet/tart balance and some nice red berry type flavors but couldn't really separate them, almost certainly will be easier with some more rest

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
bicktrav
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by bicktrav » replying to olutheros »

Gotcha. Keep me posted about how it develops!

#19: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Roasted up 324g in the Bullet this evening to around City+, 20% dev. Couldn't resist brewing up a cup in the Aeropress, and I am really impressed so far. I don't normally like coffee straight out of the roaster, but this was an absolute delight. Wonderful fruit-like acidity and sweet as can be. Downed the cup quickly. Gonna let it rest 5 days and try again on Tuesday. So far it's looking like purchasing 10# was a good idea. Will report back.