Kaleido Sniper Coffee Roaster - Page 13

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mzedith
Supporter ♡

#121: Post by mzedith »

I think it's a waste to change to a dual board. I ended up unplugging the touch pad because i can't even see it with my ol eyes. I have successfully changed my M1 standard to a Pro. I believe i paid $200? for the new board. its pretty easy to do. I did a youtube vid on it.
ontoptherock wrote:Do you need to remove the old board or do you run this along with the original board? Lastly if running dual setup how do you connect both boards? Do you have a video or anything on doing the MOD? thank you for the contribution, I am looking to do the MOD considering Kaliedo charges $500 for the dual board

jeniaboxox

#122: Post by jeniaboxox »

Thank for good review Ypuh! How often do you clean the drum in your Kaleido?? And what kind of cleaning products do you use for it? I'm just waiting for my M10pro delivery and looking for community of users, this one is the best :)) and one more question : does it exist base of roasting profiles where we can share it for each other???

Ypuh

#123: Post by Ypuh replying to jeniaboxox »

To be fair, I never really cleaned the drum. You could use Urnex Roast Sprayz which is intended for this use, but there's very little oils or residue left. Just a lot of chaff and sometimes a stuck bean (maybe they solved this with the new drum design) that you can easily brush off.

I have a few brushes near my roaster that I use in between roasts and wipe everything off between sessions. The chaff collector does a good job collecting all of these and the Batman doors allow for easy access and the exhaust vent needs to be clean from time to time. 100 roasts in I haven't used the tools provided to remove the front panel and drum for a deep clean. I might do that in a couple of months, which would be 2 years of ownership. Probably the most dirty becomes the bean collector where the beans come out and cool.

Roast profiles in basic all start the same with me and stay within the following limits;
1) Pre-heat at 180-185 C
2) Load the beans, adjust push power to 80-100% (depending on load, 600g at the lower end, 900g on higher end) and set limit to 210 C
3) Wait 5 minutes to yellow, sometimes lowering power a bit from 100 > 70%, keeping track of Rate-of-Rise (ROR) around the 12 C/Minute. I do not use the Tipping Point, so that's included within these 5 minutes
4) Minute 5-7/8 allow beans to develop and wait for first cracks. In steps lowering power to 60-80%
5) First cracks usually appear around minute 7-8'ish (sometimes 6m, sometimes 9m, depending on beans) or 180-190 C
6) Allow for +/- 2 minutes or 15-25% of development after the first cracks.
Temperature might shoot up after FC, so I'll try and 'catch' that before by lowering power from ca. 70% down to 20-40% so the final temperature doesn't overshoot 210 C.

Based on the bean density (usually due to higher elevation, beans are harder and may require some additional heat) things may vary, but you'll develop a sense for that over time. Within these boundaries you'll likely never really mess up. I never had to throw away beans other than the first 2 weeks of testing. To get a hang for all of this I bought like 8 kg of rejected beans to play with and felt eager to get started when I was done.

Any feedback on my basic plan is welcome too. I can still use some pointers as well :)
I don't want a Decent

jeniaboxox

#124: Post by jeniaboxox »

this is exactly the information I need at the very beginning :)
I bought 8 kilos of Brasilia cerrado to use it in my trainings. My destination in this deal - to use the kaleido in small roastery coffee shop and based on this I have a question: which smoke filter is better to use? Is it make a lot of smoke in process??

Ypuh

#125: Post by Ypuh »

Can't help you with that. Other than most roasters, the Kaleido has a fan in the exhaust pipe, so that's already a nice bonus. It's hard to say 'what is much'. I'd say there's not a huge amount of smoke, but neither would I roast inside.

If you decide to use an exhaust pipe (no more than 2-3 meters I'd say, the fan is not that powerful) you'll likely be fine roasting inside as well. I do need to warn you to clean this regularly. The only real chance to cause a fire are the dust in the exhaust pipe and chaff in the chaff collector (which needs to be emptied every 1-2 roasts).

Other than that I think you're fine roasting coffee for a small café. The machine is built like a tank, so I see no issue roasting 5kgs in a day. The ideal batch size is probably somewhere around 800g, so 5kg would take like 6-8 batches or about 1.5-2h including the 15% loss in weight of the beans during roasting.
I don't want a Decent

coffeegeekII

#126: Post by coffeegeekII »

Hi, we are interesting in buying the Kaleido M10 Dual and having it shipped to the EU (Greece). Might anyone on this board know and share with us if you have imported it from outside the EU (China) and how the customs experience (and cost) was?

Many thanks!

Ypuh

#127: Post by Ypuh »

From memory I paid around €350 for shipping over the agreed price and Kaleido took care of all shipping costs including duties. I specifically asked/wanted this, but assume it is a normal practice for them (just make sure though, taxes may easily add another €700).

Never seen a receipt of customs or anything. I'm starting to sound like a Kaleido-salesman, but the overall experience was quite pleasant even nearly 2 years later.
I don't want a Decent

jeniaboxox

#128: Post by jeniaboxox »

Hello everyone!) After receiving my kaleido m10 pro I have only roasted 10 batches and after last one I found heating element broken inside scarf collector :( maybe you have an answer why it's happened and what I have done wrong??? It's so sad case for me, now I'm waiting for new h. e. , but what if situation repeat???

Ypuh

#129: Post by Ypuh »

No idea. It should be rated for 5.000h or 10.000h or so.

Wasn't there a 2nd heating element included? I would investigate before I'd reinstall a new one. Don't know if there's any reports on faulty heating elements, but it doesn't seem like a component that breaks on first use.

In terms of overheating, the control board switches off automatically at around 220C, so that shouldn't be the issue.
I don't want a Decent

jeniaboxox

#130: Post by jeniaboxox »

Extra h.e. is not included, so I'm waiting for a month to change the broken one. But it's just 10th roasting. Customers service give me an answer "I see it's broken"without a reason :))
Few pics of my case
https://ibb.co/swDNVfC
https://ibb.co/HgCvDhG
https://ibb.co/mT7BJrk