Kaleido Sniper Coffee Roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
marcism

#11: Post by marcism »

To be honest, this is a really right up my alley for what I'm looking for in a roaster. Any way you can show something next to it for scale, please? Also, what the heck are the wings for??

Capuchin Monk

#12: Post by Capuchin Monk »

marcism wrote:Also, what the heck are the wings for??
:lol: It's a flying beetle.

I did Google search roaster and found a site that sells this and 300G Portable Coffee Roaster by the same company (ZC) which seems more interesting to me. It's listed under DIY roaster.

nrh (original poster)

#13: Post by nrh (original poster) »

marcism wrote:To be honest, this is a really right up my alley for what I'm looking for in a roaster. Any way you can show something next to it for scale, please? Also, what the heck are the wings for??
Yes, I can try to take a picture later today or tomorrow to give a size comparison. It is basically the size of a toaster oven though.

The wings are for maintenance and/or cooling the unit after you are done roasting. You can remove two small pieces of metal (one per side) to access the drum.

I'll also try to take a couple pictures to show the chaff collector.
Nick H.

GC7

#14: Post by GC7 »

800 W is just a bit more than a HotTop.

If true, I would suggest roasting no more than 250-275 gm.

nrh (original poster)

#15: Post by nrh (original poster) replying to GC7 »

On both roasts so far I only got up to 60% heat, and I had to back off of that since my ROR was increasing too fast. I think the bulb/insulation combo with the Sniper is pretty capable of supporting the 340 grams I did.

The bullet in comparison (with similar heating technology) can do 1000 g. with 1500 watts.
Nick H.

GC7

#16: Post by GC7 replying to nrh »

Fine. I was just going by your 11 and 10' to first crack.

The induction heating of a bullet is very different technology and I wouldn't use mine at close to 1Kg for optimal roasting.

nrh (original poster)

#17: Post by nrh (original poster) replying to GC7 »

Sorry, I didn't intend to offend. I'm not sure of the technical differences either.
Nick H.

nrh (original poster)

#18: Post by nrh (original poster) »

Here are some pictures of the roaster with a standard 2 liter bottle of Coca Cola. I also took some additional pictures of the roaster, heating bulb, trier, drum, screen, and chaff tray.

Nick H.

GC7

#19: Post by GC7 »

nrh wrote:Sorry, I didn't intend to offend. I'm not sure of the technical differences either.
Not at all. I'm sorry. Just trying to help. I hope you figure out the best way to use your roaster and enjoy your coffee. I'm certain someone with more knowledge than me can help you to optimize your roasts to your taste. It's a cool design.

ENJOY!

nrh (original poster)

#20: Post by nrh (original poster) replying to GC7 »

Thanks! I definitely open to suggestions. One thing I've heard to enhance sweetness is to extend the roasting time (within reason) and keep a steady/low ROR. That's what I was trying to do.

I tried one of the roasts today by brewing a V60. It is a blend of a natural processed Brazil, a washed Guatemala, and a washed Ethiopia (40/40/20). It was sweet and it had berry and citrus notes. I'm working on my palate, but overall I'm satisfied with this. I was going for a light roast with this blend. I'm hoping to try it a few days from now as espresso. I'm planning to try the Brazil by itself tomorrow with V60 - I did this one separate as a medium roast for my other batch.
Nick H.