Kaldi Wide thermocouple mod

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
DanideVic

#1: Post by DanideVic »

Hi everyone, my BT probe in the Kaldi wide 400 is not immersed in the coffee beans, what makes temperature reading misleading.
Does anybody know how to disassemble the BT probe, or better still, how to fix this issue?
Thanks everybody!

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

How much of beans did you put in? I use Kaldi Wide 400 and never had such problem even when roasting 200g. Below is the image of bean temp probe of Kaldi Wide 400. Is yours like that when looking up from the bean exit gate?

DanideVic (original poster)

#3: Post by DanideVic (original poster) »

Thank you so much for your help, Capuchin. Here are two pictures of the probe loc. The second one is with the drum charged with 250g of beans.

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

DanideVic wrote:The second one is with the drum charged with 250g of beans.
BT is recorded when agitating beans come in contact with the prob during roast. What is BT temperature reading during your roast or do you have Artisan graph?

#5: Post by DanideVic (original poster) »

Here's what I use to get in Artisan. Firstly, BT temperature doesn't drow as much as "desired". Then, BT keeps very close to ET in the whole process. This made me think I could have a an issue with probes.

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

DanideVic wrote:Here's what I use to get in Artisan.
That looks similar to what I've had before.
Firstly, BT temperature doesn't drow as much as "desired".
First crack in 6 minutes seems like you have enough heat.
Then, BT keeps very close to ET in the whole process. This made me think I could have a an issue with probes.
What is your vent method? Also, burner capacity (BTU), drum speed, adjustable or fixed speed, ...etc.?

#7: Post by DanideVic (original poster) »

For airflow I use the kaldi chaff collector, set at 2.
Burner is this one: https://www.amazon.es/Meva-Rechaud-Trai ... 4840&psc=1
I think is around 2200 BTU.
Drum speed is adjustable, but I normally keep it at 85 rpm.

Capuchin Monk

#8: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Try this for checking the temp probe,
1) When the machine is at room temperature, turn on your Center 306 and see if BT and ET show the same temp.
2) Open the bean exit gate, reach in and put your finger at the tip of BT probe and hold for 10 seconds, then see what the BT temp shows on Center 306 and write it down.
3) Remove the bean hopper at the top, reach in to ET probe, put your finger at the tip of probe, hold for 10 seconds and see what temp shows on Center 306.
If both results are identical within half degree or so, then the probes are working properly.

If your BT shows low during the roast, it's possible that the vent is too strong. This is a small roaster and doesn't need much vent, especially that Kaldi chaff collector doubles as bean cooler which is designed to suck in a lot of air.

Capuchin Monk

#9: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Temperatures shown in Artisan graph at the end of this video isn't that much different from yours.

#10: Post by DanideVic (original poster) »

It makes a lot of sense. Before using the chaff collector, both the taste and the curves were pretty much better. I'll test the probes as you suggest, and tell you.
Thank you so much for your help!!
Best regards!
Daniel