Kaldi Wide Base Dimensions

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hgriffin1

#1: Post by hgriffin1 »

Hoping someone with a Kaldi Wide Roaster could provide me with the dimensions of the base under the drum. I haven't received my Kaldi yet and would like to build a custom base to hold the burner ( I am using an IR propane unit) and want to make sure the roaster is optimally placed for maximum heat transfer.

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

According to Kaldi website, there are Kaldi Wide Pop, Kaldi Wide Coffee and Kaldi Wide 400 roasters. Which one are you looking into?

hgriffin1 (original poster)

#3: Post by hgriffin1 (original poster) »

Kaldi Wide 400

Capuchin Monk

#4: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I have a Kaldi Wide 400. The outside dimension of bottom rectangle opening measures 6-3/4" front (& back) x 7-13/16" side. Hope this helps.

Please keep us posted on that custom burner.

#5: Post by hgriffin1 (original poster) »

Much appreciated! I will post updates as I progress... I roasted on a Diedrich IR30 and IR12 for 9 years so this micro roaster is quite a departure for me. I really missed not roasting my own coffee and wasn't completely satisfied with my local options. Hopefully the Kaldi will scratch the itch...

#6: Post by hgriffin1 (original poster) »

I mounted the IR burner in an angle iron base sized to fit under the kaldi. I haven't received a gas pressure gauge yet but my initial roast came out quite nice , despite not really knowing much about the heat transfer character of this heat source. The IR burner appears to produce quick/even heat and with a gas gauge, it should be reasonably easy to get repeatability.

Capuchin Monk

#7: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Did you take any pictures of the mounting device by any chance?