Kaldi Wide 400 With Center 306 - Roast Profile Questions

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sbcongdon

#1: Post by sbcongdon »

I'm looking for some insight into my roast and the data output. I've seen a lot of the other forum posts regarding the Center 306 and it's limitations, but I've made due with it so far.

My main issue is that the bean temperature probe seems to read a lower temperature than reality somewhere after dry end. I seem to get dry end at around 300 degrees, but then first crack hits at a reading of around 355 and I drop at around 395 degrees. I've checked the bean temp with a separate meat probe when I drop and the beans are actually at around 425 degrees. That's my first issue and I can't make sense of it since the probe seems to work accurately through the first half of the roast.

The second question I have is about my delta BT data. I looked back at my previous roasts, including the image posted below, and all the delta BT data seems to be in increments of 15. Is there a setting in Artisan that I should adjust to get a smaller increment on the delta BT reading?

Thanks in advance!

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I have the same roaster with Center 306 and I use Artisan. It seems accurate enough in my case. How much (weight) of beans did you roast? When I do half the load (+- 200g), it seems to keep the drop temp little lower than say 300g + roast. It may be the quantity dependent as in less beans coming in contact with the temp probe surface. :?:

sbcongdon (original poster)

#3: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

I typically roast 350 grams but I've also roasted up to 450 grams with no significant change in the temperature readings

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Please post your sample rate and curve settings. First two tabs.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

littlenut

#5: Post by littlenut »

Hi Stephen, sorry to hear of your issues.
sbcongdon wrote:I'm looking for some insight into my roast and the data output. I've seen a lot of the other forum posts regarding the Center 306 and it's limitations, but I've made due with it so far.

<SNIPPAGE IN A FEW PLACES>

My main issue is that the bean temperature probe seems to read low
I'd start w/ making sure in real time that the Center306 display for Tband Te matches the Artisan display (might be a little lag). Then i'd make sure the air flow for the roaster is neither too high or low. Easiest is to check w/ a BIC or Zippo lighter. (Do you use the bean cooler/chaff collector to induce the air flow while roasting? It can pump alotta air.)
sbcongdon wrote:The second question I have is about my delta BT data. I looked back at my previous roasts, including the image posted below, and all the delta BT data seems to be in increments of 15. Is there a setting in Artisan that I should adjust to get a smaller increment on the delta BT reading?
Follow the guidance from Michael especially and others w/ Artisan expertise. The issue I see is the Center meter's output to the display is very responsive to temperature change, but the serial output to Artisan lags quite a bit. You have to adjust some artisan settings accordingly. Searching older posts for guidance on settings for your setup will help too.

HTH,
-LN

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Note one thing from what @littlenut said -

https://artisan-scope.org/devices/meters/

Minimal stable sampling rate in Artisan: 4sec

That is why I prefer people use Phidgets if they are roasting with a computer. The Center is fine if not using Artisan.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#7: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I'll have to go back and see it I can find anything in older posts that would change my settings.

Check for lag in the Tb and Te by using my instant read thermometer? Or how would you recommend doing that?

Here are pictures of my sampling rate, my curves RoR, and my curves filters.

littlenut

#8: Post by littlenut »

sbcongdon wrote:Thanks for the input. I'll have to go back and see it I can find anything in older posts that would change my settings.
There were a cupla threads w/ good info on these settings. Search Michaels old posts if you have problems finding them.
sbcongdon wrote:Check for lag in the Tb and Te by using my instant read thermometer? Or how would you recommend doing that?
I'm sure others will chime in. I worked w/ the setting and trying to understand them and after 6-8 mos CRS sets in - sorry. I do remember Delta span >= 2XScan rate. So start out w/ 8sec w/ a 4 sec scan rate. That 20sec and 10Sec are too large IMVHO. iirc be careful w/ the curve smoothing.

Stephen how do you control the air flow through your roaster?

HTH, -LN

AZRich

#9: Post by AZRich »

regarding lag - easy way to see if your BT has lag is how long it takes you to get to your turning point after charge. I have an almost bare TC for BT and all my turns are 35 to 40 sec's regardless of charge temp.

#10: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

I'll try adjusting to 8 seconds and see if that helps. I know that I read through all the artisan settings pages right when I got the roaster and probably had it at 8 for a time but must have changed it at some point.

I forgot to respond about the airflow but I decided to just go with natural airflow rather than purchasing the additional cooling/airflow unit. So no real control on the airflow.