Kaldi Wide 400 With Center 306 - Roast Profile Questions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
sbcongdon (original poster)

#11: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

Capuchin Monk wrote:I have the same roaster with Center 306 and I use Artisan. It seems accurate enough in my case. How much (weight) of beans did you roast? When I do half the load (+- 200g), it seems to keep the drop temp little lower than say 300g + roast. It may be the quantity dependent as in less beans coming in contact with the temp probe surface. :?:
When you check the roast properties data, does it show increments of 15 or something different? What settings are you using for your curve filters?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I suggest the following.

Change Smooth Curves to Zero
Change Delta BT smoothing to zero.

Set Delta Span in increments of your 4 second sample rate: 8,12,16 etc. Try those.

While the lines won't be as nice you will have more real time feedback.

You can learn to roast with the Center; just have to learn how the roaster and beans react since your feedback is a bit slower.

Learn to use Analyzer and you learn what your lines mean relative to a straight declining ROR.

All of this is covered in the Quick Start Guide with links to Artisan Blog articles there too.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
littlenut

#13: Post by littlenut »

sbcongdon wrote:<SNIPPAGE>

I forgot to respond about the airflow but I decided to just go with natural airflow rather than purchasing the additional cooling/airflow unit. So no real control on the airflow.
There is a User from OZ that iirc has the same roaster as you, is extremely knowledgeable about it and other roasting parameters and has done quite a bit of "experimenting" w/ airflow and limitations. UserID is OldmatefromOZ. Search his old posts and maybe PM him. He talked about roasting w/ the Natural Draft. IIRC it limited max capacity, but check on old threads.

My guess is at some point you could get big discrepancies between Tb and actual skin temp on the beans. Just a guess on my part though.

HTH, -LN

Capuchin Monk

#14: Post by Capuchin Monk »

sbcongdon wrote:When you check the roast properties data, does it show increments of 15 or something different? What settings are you using for your curve filters?
I left everything to default setting.

#15: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

I changed the smooth curves and the Delta smoothing to zero and here's what the graph looks like. Not sure if this is what you'd expect with zero smoothing but I can't get a normal looking graph with anything less than 3 for delta smoothing.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#16: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz » replying to sbcongdon »

These are classic Center errors. See my prior post. Put smoothing back or better yet switch to Phidgets.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___

Vince_in_Montreal

#17: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

sbcongdon wrote:I'll try adjusting to 8 seconds and see if that helps. I know that I read through all the artisan settings pages right when I got the roaster and probably had it at 8 for a time but must have changed it at some point.

I forgot to respond about the airflow but I decided to just go with natural airflow rather than purchasing the additional cooling/airflow unit. So no real control on the airflow.
You definitely want some kind of air flow with the kaldi. I recommend the fan box cooling tray from Kaldi, I use it with my Orange Kaldi New wide and it's great, Although very strong for the size of the roaster (my New wide is "350g" but I charge 250-275 normally.

The knob has a 1-10 scale setting and I'll start my roast at 2.5 and end at 3 or 3.5. Anything more is too much air flow and anything less than 2.5 and I get chaff accumulation at the base of the exhaust.

Also I switched from the Centre 306 to Phidgets and the difference is night and day.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso

#18: Post by sbcongdon (original poster) »

Sounds like Phidgets is going to be my best bet. Any recommendation on a setup or which probes to get?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#19: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Read this first

https://artisan-scope.org/devices/phidgets/

You have to decide if you are going to switch probes to RTDs
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___