Kaldi Fortis Cyclone

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
elghee

#1: Post by elghee »

Does anyone have the cyclone for the Kaldi Fortis plus? I am curious what the benefit of the cyclone has over the chaff collector? I assume the work the same at removing chaff and providing airflow?

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

This thread :arrow: Cyclone for Kaldi Fortis Came In
Cyclone is very efficient in separating chaff because it doesn't use filter. As for Kaldi Fortis Plus cyclone, it's a heavy duty separator. I made mine for less money and it works fine. Others have done similar. :arrow: "Homemade" Small roaster cyclone

littlenut

#3: Post by littlenut »

elghee wrote:Does anyone have the cyclone for the Kaldi Fortis plus? I am curious what the benefit of the cyclone has over the chaff collector? I assume the work the same at removing chaff and providing airflow?

Hi Lee *WAVES*

I don't have a Fortis Plus, I have a fortis, cyclone and a separate COOLER/chaff collector that I use exclusively just for cooling the roasted beans.

I am assuming the "chaff collector" you mention in your post is the chaff collector/COOLER that Kaldi sells. The difference is that the;

1. The cyclone is paired w/ a fan/blower to collect the chaff and induce a draft through the roaster. It operates during the entire roast session.

2. The chaff collector/COOLER does 2 things, but not at the same time. You can connect it to act as a chaff collector and induce a draft through the roaster. When the roast is done, you disconnect it from the roaster, cut-off the burner, and then dump the beans into it.

After the beans have cooled, you switch back to chaff collector. Start the draft through the roaster, relight the burner, get roaster to the desired temperature, and start another roast. When you do multiple roasts in a session (I normally do 4-8 roasts in a session) the switching back and forth adds alot of time and is a PITA IMVHO.

HTH,
--Tom

elghee (original poster)

#4: Post by elghee (original poster) »

If you just compare the chaff collection feature, is there a benefit of the cyclone vs the chaff collector box that most people get with the roaster? I already have a bean cooler so I would not need to worry about the cooling aspect once the beans are done roasting. I know commercial roasters use a cyclone or variant, I am just wondering if airflow and chaff collecting is any better with a cyclone vs the hose and chaff collector most use? There price difference is not a deciding factor, ore about efficiency. I am coming from a Quest roaster that has the chaff collection and airflow built in which works great.

elghee (original poster)

#5: Post by elghee (original poster) »

Did you have the chaff collector before switching to a cyclone? If so, how would you say the airflow and chaff management compares?

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Cyclone chaff collector is more efficient than filter type but for the size of roaster that you have, it won't make much of a difference. If your existing chaff collector is working, no need to spend additional money / time on another one. But if you like the experience of upgrading things like I do, you can try the one shown in the following thread. :arrow: "Homemade" Small roaster cyclone

littlenut

#7: Post by littlenut »

elghee wrote:If you just compare the chaff collection feature, is there a benefit of the cyclone vs the chaff collector box that most people get with the roaster?
YES there is a definite benefit. The fan/blower of the chaff collector has a lower flow rate which is what you want when roasting.
The Chaff collector box has too high of a minimum flow rate for roasting. It works, but the cyclone's is better suited for roasting.

elghee wrote:I already have a bean cooler so I would not need to worry about the cooling aspect once the beans are done roasting. I know commercial roasters use a cyclone or variant, I am just wondering if airflow and chaff collecting is any better with a cyclone vs the hose and chaff collector most use?
If I had a suitable bean cooler, I would just get a cyclone. You should check w/ Kaldi if they will provide just a cyclone. Since I purchased the cyclone, Kaldi added the fortis plus that has a bean cooler and a cyclone built such that it will sit on a table. (Much cleaner than my set-up.)
elghee wrote:There price difference is not a deciding factor, ore about efficiency. I am coming from a Quest roaster that has the chaff collection and airflow built in which works great.
The kaldi chaff collector/bean cooler has a noticeably larger capacity fan/blower, which is great for cooling the beans. Too large for good turndown for airflow through the roaster IMO.

elghee wrote:Did you have the chaff collector before switching to a cyclone? If so, how would you say the airflow and chaff management compares?
Chaff management fine for both. Airflow for roasting goes hands down to the cyclone.
HTH, -Tom

elghee (original poster)

#8: Post by elghee (original poster) »

Kaldi confirmed they can sell the Fortis with Cyclone. Basically, the plus model minus the base and cooler on the plus model. I have been torn over getting the plain Fortis and chaff collector box or the Fortis with the cyclone. I think they said the cyclone is $540, which is not terrible for what it can do I suppose. It may be best to get the cyclone option.

Capuchin Monk

#9: Post by Capuchin Monk »

elghee wrote: I think they said the cyclone is $540, which is not terrible for what it can do I suppose. It may be best to get the cyclone option.
This one is cheaper :arrow: https://zccoffeeroasters.com/itm/800g-c ... collector/

elghee (original poster)

#10: Post by elghee (original poster) »

That's half the price, thanks