Kaldi Fortis Cyclone - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Scracker

#11: Post by Scracker »

I made mine from 6" duct and 2" exhaust fitting with a Dayton hi temp blower motor . The motor came with and ac but I changed it to 12v DC so the speed control was consistent

Mbb

#12: Post by Mbb »

elghee wrote: I think they said the cyclone is $540, which is not terrible for what it can do I suppose. It may be best to get the cyclone option.

Ouch.
Maybe if it comes with the blower and a speed control that's not that bad

I've been looking at the Fortis Plus for a long time but haven't seen a single review on it. Seems nice to have it all integrated

elghee (original poster)

#13: Post by elghee (original poster) »

I had to email them to get info. They will sell the fortis with the cyclone which will have the air control built onto the fortis. It is $2k though.

Scracker

#14: Post by Scracker »

Plus shipping which was why I didn't buy it from them it was going to be another $500

Capuchin Monk

#15: Post by Capuchin Monk »

If you are cash strapped, perhaps DIY option is the way to go. It's not that hard to do (links posted earlier). :idea:

littlenut

#16: Post by littlenut »

Hi All;

Kaldi Fortis
306 data logger
Combination Chaff Collector/Bean Cooler (requires switching between the 2 modes of operation)

1,890 USD
+Shipping

Not Included
Burner
Tables, Stands etc. to for Roaster/cooler

Kaldi Fortis Plus (includes);
Bean Cooler
Cyclone for drafting roaster and collecting chaff (no switching between drafting and cooling beans) (w/ fan control)
Data Logger
Burner
Housing for above (all at same level so can sit on a single table)

2,650 USD
+Shipping

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I "GOT" THIS WRONG.

IMVVHO the 760 USD adder between the 2 is reasonable for the cyclone, burner, and housing that integrates all the parts to be able to be set on a table.

Regards, -Tom

elghee (original poster)

#17: Post by elghee (original poster) »

I am leaning towards the Fortis with the cyclone add on so they are both controlled from the Fortis and I don't have wires and fans all over my roasting area. For the extra $540 to have the cyclone incorporated on the Fortis, I am ok with that extra. I really don't like the giant box chaff collector, its almost the size of the roaster and you need to run 5 feet of hose to the box chaff collector, which could affect airflow changes?

littlenut

#18: Post by littlenut replying to elghee »

Hi Lee;

Your money your call. If I was buying now I would go with this one https://eng.homecaffe.net/product/kaldi ... display/2/. It is a $760 adder. It is much cleaner, smaller footprint, and the bean cooler is not a giant box. Only question for me would be the burner. (If have to replace, how easy to source??)

Anywhoo, GL and let us know how it turns out.

-Tom