Is ROR ratio of 30°/20°/10°F perfect for the cup?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Which refers to average R0R during 3 phases we talk about while beans are in the roasting environment.

These numbers will likely get you to a drop temp around 410°f or thereabouts. If you want more those numbers need to be slightly modified.

Hate using the word I so I'll say we because this includes my wife and her patience with all my quirks. I'm stingy with some beans so I experiment with $3 lb. stuff. There's all kind of ways to get to your chosen numbers. You can adjust heat, adjust weight and for that matter air. I find success making minute air modifications after DE and then again at 15% dev to evacuate smoke.

There's three more numbers we strive for and these are also heat/charge weight dependent and are time related. 45/35/20. Those are percentiles and get you to 100.

In the beginning our numbers were so far off everything smelled like burnt coffee. Clothes, bikes, even the cats. I now wheel the cart next to the door and expel the fumes outside. In all honesty it's been and continues to be fun. I've got lot's to learn.

CareFreeBuzzBuzz kept me going, and going & going

Advertisement
GC7

#2: Post by GC7 »

Mike - Thanks for starting this as I've been thinking about how to integrate preheat levels, target times and temperatures into optimal ROR curves. Rao's Best Practices book if I recall does not really directly address these issues.

For the last 3 months or so I've been roasting on my Aillio Bullet and the above issues become practical to think about compared with my previous HotTop. My roasts vary from ~400* all the way to 430* with development from 17-35% depending on targets. I've worried that the longer >3 minute development roasts might "bake" but racing through 1C to get to a point just short of second crack seems suboptimal as well.

As you said, the city-city+ (~400* - 410*) are right for your 30:20:10 targets and I'm glad to read you might vary from this with other target temperatures.
Here is my most extreme example and I believe it's about as good as I can expect. It's for a comfort flat white blend where I add 1/3 light roasted Ethiopian or Colombian.

edit: I always use ~320* to mark yellow. I know it's early but it is consistent. Most I think would mark it around 4'30" or so on this roast.

bradm

#3: Post by bradm »

So AFAIK the average RoR values are calculated using time and temperatures from the TP, DE, FCs, and Drop events. This leads to an interesting opportunity for a real-time roast assistant:

Suppose you reach the TP, and you know DE occurs at 300F, and you want an average RoR of 30 for that interval of the roast. Then your "ideal" DE time could be computed and a marker automatically placed for you to attempt to hit. Similarly, once you pass DE a marker could be automatically placed for FC based on your estimate of FC temperature, and finally for Drop based on your desired drop temperature.

Can Artisan do this?

Vince_in_Montreal

#4: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

CFBB is indeed the driving force behind a lot of us. Helped me out a ton getting the timings of the different phases through my thick skull lol.

But don't count yourself short either. 45-35-20 AND 30-20-10 thingamajig helped big time. Check this guy out. Roasted yesterday, can't wait to try. Analysis at .01

Oh by the way I read an article the other day I thought you would find interesting. Author says a longer initial phase (I'm thinking of your 25% total roast time to 212 comment) will help the bean mass develop more uniformly throughout the rest of the roast, which will help shorten FC since more beans will be popping in unison. Anyway here's the link:

https://mill47.coffee/pages/roasting-naturals

Mythraindeer

#5: Post by Mythraindeer »

Hi GC7, I just got a Bullet. I've roasted about 15 pounds so far and I've struggled to get a roast I'm really happy with. Do you mind sharing your fan and power adjustments during the roast you pictured? You appear to start at a lower pre-heat and get to a higher peak ROR than I do. And then your ROR appears to have a nice smooth decline over the term of the roast. Would love to see how you managed this. you also have a much longer development period than I target. Did you approach SC on this roast? Your graph also looks weird to me because your "Bean Temp" is so much lower than your IBTS. I assume the Bean Temp is just ignored.

GC7

#6: Post by GC7 »

bradm wrote: Can Artisan do this?
That's a useful set of roasting goals Brad. I'm barely learning Roastworld software. I have a headache thinking of switching. :? Oy!

GC7

#7: Post by GC7 »

Mythraindeer wrote:Hi GC7, I just got a Bullet. I've roasted about 15 pounds so far and I've struggled to get a roast I'm really happy with. Do you mind sharing your fan and power adjustments during the roast you pictured? You appear to start at a lower pre-heat and get to a higher peak ROR than I do. And then your ROR appears to have a nice smooth decline over the term of the roast. Would love to see how you managed this. you also have a much longer development period than I target. Did you approach SC on this roast? Your graph also looks weird to me because your "Bean Temp" is so much lower than your IBTS. I assume the Bean Temp is just ignored.
Here is a link.
https://beta.roast.world/@geoffreychild ... 9PJmAD-TdC

Much of my tinkering around with preheat temperatures, BT levels at drop, fan controls and general bullet tips come from Bradm so any credit goes to his experimentation. I think if the X-axis was stretched out a bit the BT, IBTS differences would not seem as extreme. You will have to play around with your machine for quite a few more roasts to get comfortable. I don't feel i'm there yet but getting better.

Advertisement
Mythraindeer

#8: Post by Mythraindeer replying to GC7 »

Thank you! I flicked through several of your roasts. It seems you follow more or less the same schedule for changing fan/power for each of your roasts. Your Panama Elida Natural #3 roast looked very interesting since I am targeting a medium roast level. Appreciate the help!

Sorry for the detour from the topic at hand. Hoping to learn where I can.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I would not worry about detours. Were all talking coffee.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

So I drive 6.5 hours and look what I miss. Thanks for all the acknowledgment folks. I guess my 2 cents for tonight is that these are great goals for a drum roaster. But how close is close enough? Is 8.5 after FCs enough? How does trying to get to 10 impact whether you have too much heat going into FC causing a crash. If you come close and get decent results in Analyzer you will likely have tasty coffee.

I'll have to go back to the Artisan question later. I'm hanging with my 95 yo mom and there's lot to do. She's super sharp still. Thanks again.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart