Is it a roast issue or a green issue? (Prospective new roasters; you should read this too!) - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BodieZoffa

#51: Post by BodieZoffa »

tyreroller wrote:This is why SCOTT RAO said he stop reading coffee roasting forum.. too much opinion makes misunderstanding.. everyone always feels like have the most right knowledge.. just learn the basic and let the experience makes you better.. without experience, how ever you read the forum does not makes you better..

lets roast..roast..roast..

Every coffee will surely find a connoisseur
Same thing can be said for everything in life as we know it. I will never acknowledge the 'expert/professional' role some claim to play as we all have a difference of opinion, expectation, experience, etc. I do precisely what works the way I want it to and that's all that will ever count.

Milligan

#52: Post by Milligan » replying to BodieZoffa »

They have a quote for this line of thought: "Why reinvent the wheel?"

A newbie's epiphany after 5 years of diligent work could have been a 2 minute conversation with an expert. One of humanity's greatest achievements is collectively sharing a body of knowledge built upon the people who came before us. Starting alone, in the dark, is not something to strive for nor brag about.

It is disappointing seeing some of the comments in this thread. I, for one, enjoy luca's contributions to the forum and hope he continues even with some folks trying to minimize his expertise.

BodieZoffa

#53: Post by BodieZoffa » replying to Milligan »

Said knowledge is simply a matter of what works for an individual, doesn't guarantee success for others. I am one to never follow anybody's lead and forge ahead to get the very best for what suits me. I grew tired of commercial 'artisan' roasted whatever so built my own setup, bought a bunch of green and went at it 'blindly as you might say. First 2 batches were underdeveloped and tossed, but by the 3rd batch things really aligned and my only regret is not going at it sooner than I did. I take a very different approach to roasting than all I have read others mentioning, but there is no perfect scenario that will work for us all... so yeah I did reinvent the wheel for me and get superb results time and time again. I know what greens suit me for taste and especially texture and can dial any coffee in within a few batches and just work on replicating that.

I agree that Luca's threads are useful/welcome to many looking for more detailed info...

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#54: Post by PIXIllate »

Milligan wrote:They have a quote for this line of thought: "Why reinvent the wheel?"

A newbie's epiphany after 5 years of diligent work could have been a 2 minute conversation with an expert. One of humanity's greatest achievements is collectively sharing a body of knowledge built upon the people who came before us. Starting alone, in the dark, is not something to strive for nor brag about.

It is disappointing seeing some of the comments in this thread. I, for one, enjoy luca's contributions to the forum and hope he continues even with some folks trying to minimize his expertise.
This.

Capuchin Monk

#55: Post by Capuchin Monk »

BodieZoffa wrote:Said knowledge is simply a matter of what works for an individual, doesn't guarantee success for others.
That depends on the type of knowledge. If it's a subjective one such as taste, visual appeal or musical preference, then yes, one man's trash may well be another man's treasure. If the knowledge is something like how to get better gas mileage out of certain car, then it's shareable across the board.

BodieZoffa

#56: Post by BodieZoffa » replying to Capuchin Monk »

Same sort of thing applies to growing up as parents can instill whatever they want the child to pursue/believe with the lame constant mention of 'wisdom', but when you get old enough you see all the B.S. for what it really is and find your own way. If we all believe in/do the same things life is pretty damn boring. Why try to learn from others when you can outshine them in your own way?!? Now, back on topic as usual...

ira
Team HB

#57: Post by ira »

I see all this discussion of your taste is different than mine, but in my experience, for most reasonable roasts, many people will have a similar opinion about the goodness or not. They may or may not want to drink the coffee, but can tell it's a decent roast. I've had some Geishas that seemed to be lovely examples of how Geisha is described, but I don't like floral flavors so I don't drink Geishas. I would think we'd be better off talking about how to improve roasts of good coffee. Heck, it doesn't matter if the roast has problems I'd guess some of the competitors who compete in upper level coffee competitions start with a 50 pounds or more of a chosen coffee and do lots of 50 gram roasts until they get what they want, not stopping because they got something really good because who knows if the next try will be better.

HB
Admin

#58: Post by HB »

I've removed several of the last posts that veered off the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion (notably "Be respectful", "Be patient", and "Encourage positive, shared discourse"). This thread is on cooldown so this reminder isn't overlooked.
Dan Kehn

mkane
Supporter ♡

#59: Post by mkane »

I'm tasting roast 1670. A Colombian. Brown sugar nose and a bittersweet Chocolate flavor. Curious how different these could be from one another. 24hrs off roast as a pourover.

It tastes burnt. Looking at the profile the ET went through the roof and it tastes like it. On to 1672.

1672 has a nose more like caramel hot. Not to acidic and I can tell I'll like this more than the first. I skipped over 1671 because the ET was still high. I roasted these beans about 2 hours in on a roasting session. The BC-1 retains lots of heat.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#60: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

mkane wrote:
It tastes burnt.
It's 3pm, switch to Bourbon, and you'll know its not a green issue.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart