Internal scorching is kicking my behind. Ideas? - Page 14

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#131: Post by mkane »

boy look at that 45/35/20

And when you get 30/20/10 RoR scorching will just, disappear.
★ Helpful

Rickpatbrown

#132: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Vince_in_Montreal wrote:Thanks for sharing, can you post a profile for the far right one and also one of the other ones? To compare
Something weird happened at the end of the roast and Artisan stopped responding. I did take a picture with my phone. I also am mistaken about the air settings. This one was my usual routine. I tapped a fitting into my exhaust and attached to a Magnehelic. The numbers are arbitrary, but 7" wc is my max setting pulling a flame pretty hard with the lighter test.

0" wc from charge to 1:00
3" from 1:00‐DE
4" from DE - 20°F before first crack
7" to the end.
It's hard to make out my gas settings, but they should be
4.8 KPa
2.5 KPa
1.5 KPa
0.5 KPa
0.8 KPa (I cant remember if this was a mistake or I got scared. Normally I dont increase gas during development)
0.0 KPa
0.5 KPa (I was trying to get this one a little darker for espresso base to mix with the Ehtiopia. Normally I drop as first crack finishes).

This is a less dense Honduras honey process that needs a gentler approach. I increased the gas from 4.5kPA to 4.8 KPa and extended the initial heat blast (the drawing back of the slingshot) closer to DE.

I did the same for my other roasts (but forgot my fan for the next 2 roasts until about 1:45 in). The higher gas setting didnt seem to cause defects in the denser beans (Aida Battle washed Kilimanjaro and Panama Elida Natural), but neither of these are my best roasts. The Panama is pretty good. There's a natural Ethiopia in there that was a real disaster. I accidentally hit the drop door and spilled the beans all over :lol: (mid dry phase). I quickly gathered them up and threw them back in the roaster. They turned out ok, considering ... but still not great. I forget what order I cut the beans. I know the Honduras is last though.

Rickpatbrown

#133: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Here's the Panama Elida Natural. This is actually the one where I made a mistake with my air. I didn't open the damper until about 1:30minutes. The BT ROR is delayed substantially when I do this. Overall, it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the overall roast. I think the extra heat (4.8 KPa) made the plateau at development a little more substantial. These are really easy beans to roast, btw.

Aida Battle Washed Kiliminjaro. Was trying to take this darker, but it was flicking, so I got jumpy and dropped. Pourover is ok, but espresso is like battery acid.

And the Ethiopia ... for some lolz. Tastes a little baked with notes of garage floor. :lol:

OldmatefromOZ

#134: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

So ive had a few moments to catch up on this thread and i realise im just repeating myself....

: Ive roasted on a Huky, great machines BUT they have nothing to offer in how they are setup / work compared to Kaldi period. I even bought and used the Huky IR stove for about 1000 roasts with Kaldi, terrible does not work especially with the stupid heat deflector shield.

: I see you have re installed the heat deflector shield, sorry to be blunt but you will never get rid of the internal scorching with it installed. This is also the reason why your ROR has such a high peak then drops off at start.

: Anything over fan 1.5 - 1.6 will be exceeding the burners ability to heat the incoming air and will cause a mix of under and over developed beans plus baking.

: The drum needs to be directly heated via a flame period. Massive amounts of airflow do not make a "convection roaster". Convection is just one part of heat transfer.

: When the drum is directly heated, you can roast up to about 135 - 140C with just the hopper open and no fan assist. Try it, stick your hand over it and feel the "Convection current" created by the burner / spinning drum alone. Plenty of airflow happens without a fan! The only reason fan is needed here is at this point the beans start to expand and lose their excess moisture which over powers the natural convection currents so it just needs some assisted fan to pull it out and thats it.

Its a heavy 3mm thick SS DRUM roaster, ignore Kaldi marketing its rubbish and fails logic at every turn.

jakubx80

#135: Post by jakubx80 »

Hi there,

Just adding to fun with my bean cross-sections from my first two Huky runs! I've to say that I can't smell the awful acrid smoke from bean sections I experienced before for Behmor.

I also had a cappuccino from the roast that is reflected in the last two bean pictures, no sign of smoky taste either.

jakubx80

#136: Post by jakubx80 »

mkane wrote:boy look at that 45/35/20

And when you get 30/20/10 RoR scorching will just, disappear.
What are these numbers referring to? I first thought it is % of time in each phase but 30/20/10 doesn't add up to 100%, so I'm confused.

Vince_in_Montreal (original poster)

#137: Post by Vince_in_Montreal (original poster) replying to jakubx80 »

45%-35%-20% is indeed percent time spent in each phase. 30/20/10 is temperature per minute in each phase. See on my graph below the %.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#138: Post by mkane »

jakubx80 wrote:What are these numbers referring to? I first thought it is % of time in each phase but 30/20/10 doesn't add up to 100%, so I'm confused.
Vince beat me to it.

Vince_in_Montreal (original poster)

#139: Post by Vince_in_Montreal (original poster) »

pcofftenyo wrote:FWIW if you want Blueberry you should try to shorten your overall roast time from 20% down to 17% first then try 15%. IME 2 minutes/20% is too long for a natural if you want the blueberry component. That's assuming of course its actually in the beans and not just broker note to sell it. Big blueberry would be a big miss on their part but it happens.

Here's something to consider too: your long 4 minute period during Malliard will develop various components a little differently than a shorter period. It will also have an impact on total roast time and time in 1C. Maybe cutting this to 3:30 by staying on the gas a little harder a little earlier will slow the early ROR cliff-dive.

Liken it to that old saw, you can have X or Y but you can't have both. If you want blueberry you might have to give up something to get it.

Like others have said: you're there. Now its tweaky tweaky time. Enjoy the ride. You've got 36 lb of a Natural Ethiopian to play with, what's so bad about that? :D

Hey Pcofftenyi, just wanted to give props where thanks are due. (Or something to that effect) I have been playing around with various times in various phases and just wanted to let you know this advice was spot on. This roast below was phenomenal. Plum, very berry-tastic. Strong obvious berry and not just a hint of berry.

Dropped at a lower DTR and lower temp. 13.2% weight loss which is less than my norm I had been averaging 14.5-15.5% loss. Full body I think that's to the 4min maillard made for a phenomenal cup of coffee. Cheers

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#140: Post by pcofftenyo »

Woohoo!

Glad to hear of your success!

Happy Roasting