Ikawa Home vs Bullet

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jimmy_The_Saint

#1: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

Didn't expect to be making this post so soon but here we are.

I've had an Ikawa Home for a few weeks and I love it. Super impressed with the coffee I've had from it and it's a joy to use. I also don't mind roasting back to back the 500g or so I do each week. Obviously I'm not actually doing much of the roasting as all I've done is tweak Ikawa's profiles.

However I kind of purchased the Ikawa to see if I enjoyed roasting. And I've quickly discovered that I do so now of course I'm quickly being tempted by the bigger batch sizes of other roasters.

However, I don't want to sacrifice quality for capacity so taking the same bean, similar profile, can the Bullet roast 1kg to the same level of quality the Ikawa can do 100g?

Also any other considerations from those who've used both are welcome!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

In unable to compare with the Ikawa, but you'll probably want to roast up to 700 grams, though I know some roast full kilogram batches. You'll also experience a longer warm up, so you'll probably want to roast more than one batch once you've warmed up the roaster and you may end up with enough coffee for a couple of weeks so you won't need to roast as often and it'll take longer to roast enough batches to move along the learning curve. I love my Bullet.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster)

#3: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster) »

Good to know, thanks.

The learning curve would be a plus as whilst I've got no complaints about the Ikawa, it doesn't feel like I'm having much input in the roasts.

What's the warmup time for the Bullet?

PaulTheRoaster

#4: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:What's the warmup time for the Bullet?
25 minutes

Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster)

#5: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint (original poster) replying to PaulTheRoaster »

Ok, not too long but good to know. I see why multiple batches makes sense now.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

There's also a long cooldown time at the end.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272