Ikawa Home Roaster 100g (2021 ver.) - Review - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by mgrayson »

Peppersass wrote:I think there are two possibilities:

1) Ikawa found that Home users break the jars at a higher rate than Pro users.

-or-

2) It was a mistake, and future Home 100g users will get only two jars.
I accidentally ate one. :wink:

But seriously. How much of a mistake is it to try beans right after roasting? It seemed not terrible with the Mexican and Guatemalan beans, but the Ethiopian and Zambian taste ... unusual. I understand that some roasts need to rest for a few days to a week or two, but just how bad can I expect them to be just post-roast?

I've now roasted some from each of the sample pack bags. Waiting for orders from Sweet Marias et. al. to arrive. 300 grams is just not enough to really experiment (especially with the inevitable screwups).

Iowa_Boy

#62: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Peppersass wrote:I've done about 55 roasts on my Pro V3 and I don't see any change in the rubber gasket from when the machine was brand new. Looks like it'll last a long time. That said, I would have liked a spare just in case. It would also make switching jars about one second faster :).
Agree that a second gasket would have been nice, but not a deal breaker.

It sounds like you have had good luck with the Ikawa Espresso Profile 1 and then stopping based on development time. I tried to look at that Pro profile but couldn't get into it. I know the Pro has the exhaust probe, as well as I think more time points per profile than the Home, but are you able to see the inlet temp and fan speed settings in that profile? Was curious to build something for the Home roaster that looked as similar as possible based on inlet temps and see how it does.

B2uatk

#63: Post by B2uatk »

Fan noise - anyone know if the noise of the roast fan on the machine stays the same after many (many) roasts??

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#64: Post by Peppersass »

Iowa_Boy wrote:I know the Pro has the exhaust probe, as well as I think more time points per profile than the Home, but are you able to see the inlet temp and fan speed settings in that profile?
What you see in the profile, and what can be edited, are the target exhaust temperatures and fan speeds. The roaster automatically adjusts the inlet temperature to achieve the target exhaust temperature at each time point in the profile.

The inlet temperature, exhaust temperature and fan speed are plotted in the roast log (RoR, too, if you desire.) You can also save a much more detailed .csv file with that information and a bunch more telemetry about what's going on in the roaster. The column headings are time (in tenths of a second), fan set (target fan speed), setpoint (target exhaust temp), fan speed, temp above (must be the exhaust temp), state (pre-heating, ready to roast, roasting, cooling), heater (not sure -- maybe % heater power), P, I, D, temp below (must be the inlet temperature), temp board (CPU board temp?), j (no idea what that is), and ror_above (RoR based on exhaust temp.)

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by mgrayson »

So I poked a thermocouple inside the bean chamber near the exhaust and recorded the temp every 10 seconds. Here's the output:

This was the intake temperature curve. It's from Zambia Isanya Kateshi Filter Medium +

I present this merely for data. I do not know how to interpret it. THIS plot certainly does not have decreasing slope, but it's probably not this curve that's important. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Matt

Auctor (original poster)

#66: Post by Auctor (original poster) »

Here's the same coffee in the Advanced Editor. I wonder what explains the massive difference in temperature. On the bright side, it appears that the lines are mostly parallel. :P

Legend_217

#67: Post by Legend_217 »

I don't think Ikawa can show you ROR. How would you transfer their profiles into bigger drum roaster ? Their temp seems too high

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by mgrayson »

Auctor wrote:Here's the same coffee in the Advanced Editor. I wonder what explains the massive difference in temperature.
Well, a lot of energy has to transfer to the beans, and it's only coming from the air, so there has to be a temperature drop.

MNate

#69: Post by MNate »

Legend_217 wrote:I don't think Ikawa can show you ROR. How would you transfer their profiles into bigger drum roaster ? Their temp seems too high
Actually measuring Bean Temp instead of just the environment near the bean is a difficulty (impossibility?) even on drum roasters. How much is that probe really in contact with a bean? But yes, it seems even harder on any fluid bed where you get all this hot air flowing through the beans and lofting them. But either way you should be able to make some logical conclusions about what the bean is doing.

Transfer these temps to a drum roaster? Probably not on any fluid bed. But again, some principles should relate for a given bean.

So in this thread I'm less following measurements and more interested to hear how the results are coming. Any good roasts now that the roasts have been given some rest?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by mgrayson »

MNate wrote: So in this thread I'm less following measurements and more interested to hear how the results are coming. Any good roasts now that the roasts have been given some rest?
Enthusiastic Newbie giving irrelevant reactions, here...

All recommended profiles:
Ethiopia Dumerso Espresso - Day 4 much improved. Enjoying some now. Don't know what a good Ethiopian tastes like, so I might be way off.
Mexico Huatasco Espresso and Filter - Very Good day 1, Very Good day 3.
Guatamala Blue Ayarza Espresso- Great day 1, Great day 3.
Zambia and Ethiopia Buie Bora roasted yesterday - no idea.

Fortunately, my family likes sweetened milk drinks, so they'll drink anything.

I like the Mexican and Guatemalan roasts as much as most of the coffees I get of similar origin from other roasters. That's either my undiscriminating palate, poor espresso technique, or good beans and profiles from Ikawa.