Ikawa Home Roaster 100g (2021 ver.) - Review - Page 11

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GDM528

#101: Post by GDM528 »

MNate wrote:In this Rwandan from another supplier there were so many bad beans! So I picked through before roasting.
By properly adjusting fan speed and batch size, defective beans can be automagically ejected with the chaff during the roast. I consider this an unadvertised/unimplemented 'feature'. Probably not useful for peeps that keep changing up the beans they roast, but I plan to leverage this 'auto eject' technique for the larger bags I have.

Covfefe Mom

#102: Post by Covfefe Mom »

Own Home for about 9 mos, went thru sample bags, preferred Columbia (now out of stock), bought similar elsewhere. Exclusively roast espresso greeen beans PNG & Columbia La Florida, Decent Machine Londinium setting. Since update app ver3.0.4, more consistent roast & less silverskin w/ bean mix. Just broke 100g glass jar, ordered replacement, $28 cost, shipping $31. BEWARE ! !

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#103: Post by mgrayson replying to Covfefe Mom »

You can get by fine with two jars. That's all the Pro models come with.

Iowa_Boy

#104: Post by Iowa_Boy »

FYI - It does look like they still offer free shipping to US if order is above I think $50.
I tested adding two jars to an order and it was $56 total with free shipping.
So I think if wanted an extra it would just pay to order two.

GDM528

#105: Post by GDM528 »

Covfefe Mom wrote:Own Home for about 9 mos, went thru sample bags, preferred Columbia (now out of stock), bought similar elsewhere. Exclusively roast espresso greeen beans PNG & Columbia La Florida, Decent Machine Londinium setting. Since update app ver3.0.4, more consistent roast & less silverskin w/ bean mix. Just broke 100g glass jar, ordered replacement, $28 cost, shipping $31. BEWARE ! !
I've inadvertently confirmed the catch jar isn't necessary for operation. It was kinda hilarious, but really messy.

ira
Team HB

#106: Post by ira »

As is forgetting the rubber ring when you put the jar back after emptying the chaff.

Ira

Jiduochou

#107: Post by Jiduochou »

Hi there,
I have been owning ikawa home 100g, since it lounched and had enjoyed overall its performance. And yet this joyful period of time stay no longer a non-working one. I have contacted Ikawa via Email for support for almost 1 month without any proper solution to deal with my roaster. Now it has become a good-looking piece of decoration in my living room. We communicated back and forth several times via Email and the longest response waiting time is 14 days and counting still. Frankly, it is a good piece of machine for daily usage basis, but the tech support is disappointed throughout the process.
Is anyone feel the same way about their tech support? Or maybe I am living outside of the UK?

darrenho
Supporter ♡

#108: Post by darrenho replying to Jiduochou »

Hi, would you share what happened to your Ikawa Home?
How long have you had it?
How many lbs or Kgs of beans have gone through it?
What is frequency of your roasting using the Ikawa home?
What's the issue you had with the machine when it went down?

ira
Team HB

#109: Post by ira »

Today Ikawa announced price changes:

Graph Editor: lowered to $6.49 per month.

Home 100 Roasting System: raised to $1,270.

GDM528

#110: Post by GDM528 replying to ira »

I can buy 2 years worth of greens for what I saved as an early adopter of the Ikawa Home - score one for buying on impulse!

Interesting how they linked the price hike (often linked to COGS) to enabling a lower subscription price for what is largely a sunk cost. People buying the roaster and sticking to Ikawa's curated greens are subsidizing users going off the ranch? I'm flattered.

$6.49 is still higher than the current $0 to edit profiles with the iOS app. Perhaps they will plug the 'legacy' hole with a future update. I consider myself warned...

I'm rooting for Ikawa enabling the Pro app for Home users.