IKAWA Home - profiles - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
nicolai

#41: Post by nicolai »

Hi everyone,

I don't know if it a hack or on purpose, but you can just download an legacy home profile and edit it. This also seems to be possible in the new app and would put it at par with the features available up until the new app.

I don't think there is much extra control on the profiles that are now shipped as part of the official ikawa profiles apart from them highlighting when FC and yellowing is expected to happen? It is still just measuring inlet temp and fan speed as it is the only sensors available on the device.

I am only playing with the app as I only now ordered the roaster yesterday, but just want to see if my understanding is correct.
I just could not justify the cost of the pro version, while the data it does provide is quite interesting.

GDM528

#42: Post by GDM528 »

mariowar wrote:I wonder if Ikawa has uploaded any wet processed Colombian 100 g profiles in the past. If so, would you please share them?

I only see one Colombian in the list, San Lorenzo, however, when I click on the recipes it does not show them at all. I reported the glitch via the Ikawa app.

Thanks
This is what I found via the Android app for Colombia Los Vascos. The gentle rise of the thermal profile implies it may be for a natural-process coffee - not necessarily a show-stopper however. Looking at the temperatures, I'm thinking they're both relatively light roasts - which for me IS a show-stopper :(

These recipes should be editable in the free versions of their app, so you could always drag up the temperature setpoints to darken it up.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... KAGIBMQ==

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... EAUoAYgEx

GDM528

#43: Post by GDM528 »

nicolai wrote:Hi everyone,

I don't know if it a hack or on purpose, but you can just download an legacy home profile and edit it. This also seems to be possible in the new app and would put it at par with the features available up until the new app.

I don't think there is much extra control on the profiles that are now shipped as part of the official ikawa profiles apart from them highlighting when FC and yellowing is expected to happen? It is still just measuring inlet temp and fan speed as it is the only sensors available on the device.

I am only playing with the app as I only now ordered the roaster yesterday, but just want to see if my understanding is correct.
I just could not justify the cost of the pro version, while the data it does provide is quite interesting.
I think they did that so customers who upgraded from the previous model could port their recipes to the new machine, dunno why they didn't lock them in the new app, but I'm not complaining :D

Charging $34 a month to access an older version of their app doesn't seem very sustainable, but I have observed other companies experimenting with fantastically overpriced subscription services - hoping this isn't a portend of things to come.

Their new iOS app does more than just (dubiously) mark first-crack. There are distinctly different roast profile adjustments you can make. Their roast profiles don't go as dark as I'd like however, hence my quest to develop some general-purpose recipes that can reach Full City roast levels.

If you're handy with electronics, it's pretty straightforward to add back the bits they deleted from the Pro version.

ira
Team HB

#44: Post by ira »

It might be easy to add back the bits, but not so easy to get the software that supports it.

Ira

mathof

#45: Post by mathof replying to ira »

Th Pro software can be downloaded without owning a Pro roaster. Could someone who is handy with electronics find a way for it to work with the Home model?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by mgrayson replying to mathof »

My understanding - possibly wrong - is that the Pro is a closed loop system. A profile is entered for the exhaust temperature probe (and fan), and the software adjusts the input temperature in order to track the desired exhaust. To implement that on the Home would require another sensor (not hard to add) and dynamic control of the input temperature (very hard to add). Most of the curves in the Pro library are exhaust targets, but there are some Home-like curves for input temperature.
★ Helpful

GDM528

#47: Post by GDM528 »

mathof wrote:Th Pro software can be downloaded without owning a Pro roaster. Could someone who is handy with electronics find a way for it to work with the Home model?
Both the iOS and Android versions of the Pro software perform a handshake with the roaster to confirm compatibility. I tried: it spots my ruse and shuts me down *sigh*. Hacking the phone app seems super(duper)-hard to me, given the code is compiled and essentially unreadable. Hacking the Ikawa Home to pose as a Pro may be easier, but I'm not ready yet to turn my Ikawa into a Hackawa just yet.

My dream scenario is Ikawa sees the errors of their ways, drops the monthly subscription price 10x, and enables access to a version of the Pro software that tolerates the missing thermocouples. The Pro software has some cool features, like many more setpoints, and tabular data entry.

mariowar

#48: Post by mariowar »

GDM528 wrote:This is what I found via the Android app for Colombia Los Vascos. The gentle rise of the thermal profile implies it may be for a natural-process coffee - not necessarily a show-stopper however. Looking at the temperatures, I'm thinking they're both relatively light roasts - which for me IS a show-stopper :(

These recipes should be editable in the free versions of their app, so you could always drag up the temperature setpoints to darken it up.

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... KAGIBMQ==

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... EAUoAYgEx
Thanks, i also saw these ones with my Android, however, I wonder how recipes for a different roaster and different charges would work on the Ikawa Home 100...
Am.I missing something?

mariowar

#49: Post by mariowar »

nicolai wrote:Hi everyone,

I noticed the Color Legacy editable profile too and yes, we can see the temperature curves, however, none of the coffee recipes show you fan curves as far as I understand.

nicolai

#50: Post by nicolai »

GDM528 wrote:I think they did that so customers who upgraded from the previous model could port their recipes to the new machine, dunno why they didn't lock them in the new app, but I'm not complaining :D

Charging $34 a month to access an older version of their app doesn't seem very sustainable, but I have observed other companies experimenting with fantastically overpriced subscription services - hoping this isn't a portend of things to come.

Their new iOS app does more than just (dubiously) mark first-crack. There are distinctly different roast profile adjustments you can make. Their roast profiles don't go as dark as I'd like however, hence my quest to develop some general-purpose recipes that can reach Full City roast levels.

If you're handy with electronics, it's pretty straightforward to add back the bits they deleted from the Pro version.
I have not really seen the graph editor, but there are really only two parameters that the software can control - air speed and the temperature of the heating element?
I would assume they are the same values that a legacy recipe as well as an ikawa developed profile is utilizing.

I am still a bit in two minds of the ikawa home though (I have it on order but can cancel it quite easily)

I also have a kaffelogic which functions very similar fashion. When I bought it I was expecting I would really focus roast profiles, but after I bought my roast meter I almost always use the same profile and just change the development time based on the roast level I want to achieve.
My experience so far tells me that the quality of the green beans and roast level is by far the dominant part that decided the in cup product.
As an example: do not try to make an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe act as a nutty, caramalized, sweet dark espresso as the natural acidity and floral profile of the Ethiopian is wrong for that and you would have to incinerate it to get close to desired result.

With air roasters like ikawa and kaffelogic it is very hard to get baking or serious scoarching unless your profile is out right defective. And the whole requirement of mapping ROR etc. is a bit irrelevant due to the very small thermal mass of the roaster.
I don't dislike the kaffelogic, great machine and controls, but I think the ikawa home just has a better workflow (it is for instance much more silent and the chaff collection is brilliant on ikawa).

Do you guys miss any of the knobs from the more advanced roasters? (If you ever had one)
★ Helpful