IKAWA Home - profiles - Page 16

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mariowar

#151: Post by mariowar »

For any unknown reason the Colombia San Lorenzo recipe, my favorite for Colombians, vanished from my devices and it is not available to download.

I wonder if anyone still has it and can share it.

I hope that saved recipes are not being deleted once the coffee is no longer available from them.

Thanks

erohaj12

#152: Post by erohaj12 »

I have this San Lorenzo profile on my app. It's the filter light medium +++. Hopefully that is the one you need

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... QQxAFiATA=

mariowar

#153: Post by mariowar replying to erohaj12 »

Thank you for sharing. Don't you have the original IKAWA profile? The one you that allows you to toggle between drip and espresso?

erohaj12

#154: Post by erohaj12 »

I do have the original, but it doesn't allow me to share it with the toggle or the ability for you to then change to the roast level or development. Is there a particular roast level you liked?

mariowar

#155: Post by mariowar »

erohaj12 wrote:I do have the original, but it doesn't allow me to share it with the toggle or the abilitñ[/img] to then change to the roast level or development. Is there a particular roast level you liked?
Espresso and drip default settings would be awesome! Thanks

Did you try opening the espresso default settings, then clicking on the share icon on top?

Cwilli62

#156: Post by Cwilli62 »

I am wanting to tinker around with some of the Ikawa Pro recipes that I have seen on the Ikawa site from different coffee professionals (Kaya Carretta, Tim Wendelboe, etc.). I created recipes in the Home app to copy these 55g batches. Going to put some roasts through today and see how it goes.

I am wondering, though, if y'all have advice on how to go about converting a 55g sample roast into a 75g sample roast and get similar results. I have the Home 100g and usually run 75g batches. I'm going to go with 55g today so that I can see if I even kinda like any of the ones that I copied over to the Home app. But assuming that I DO like one or more of them, it would be nice to try to get slightly larger roasts.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#157: Post by mgrayson replying to Cwilli62 »

I may be dead wrong, but I turn up the fan a bit to increase the batch size. I believe I read that a larger batch will trap the hot air and result in a darker roast. Did I mention dead wrong? I hope someone more knowledgable weighs in.

Cwilli62

#158: Post by Cwilli62 »

Well...just doing a straight mimic/mirror at 55g, I didn't get anywhere near 1st crack. Odd. Was trying the Carretta "Pulped - Probat mimic (55g batch)" profile.

The next several attempts I adjusted the profile multiple times. The third version of this modified profile got me to 1st crack at about 50 sec before end of roast. My strategy was to try to keep the general profile shape and increase the temp for most of the set points and also increased the total roast time to 8 min. Beans look nice (I know that that doesn't really mean anything) and we'll see how they taste. Who knows...it may be trash.

'Probat mimic natural 55g v3' Freshly roasted by @ikawahome, here's the recipe

https://share.ikawa.support/profile_hom ... NIaW0xYgEw

But I found it really interesting that I did not even get past the yellowing phase with the direct mirror attempt.

GDM528

#159: Post by GDM528 »

I've stopped weighing the greens and simply pour into the doser until the greens reach the level of the glass top. For a 'typical' bean that ends up weighing around 60g. Reason #1: lazy. Reason #2: this accounts for the physical volume of the greens, which combined with the weight of the greens will interact with the airflow to achieve my ultimate goal: levitation.

My primary criterion for dosing is to be able to see the air vents at the bottom of the chamber by the time the greens have entered the browning stage. That means the beans are being heated largely by the air, with minimal heating through conduction from the chamber's surfaces.

You can see the difference between 50g and 100g in this post: Ikawa Home thermal performance

When the Ikawa is programmed for inlet control, I've consistently observed that larger doses roast lighter. That kinda makes sense to me, given that the Ikawa on inlet control will deliver a fixed amount of Joules/Q/Calories/BTUs to be spread across whatever quantity of beans are in the chamber, so more beans = less heat per bean. A Ikawa running an exhaust profile is a different story and not necessarily dose independent - y'all Pro owners can noodle on that one.

MNate

#160: Post by MNate »

Which profile does anyone use for a Brazil natural? I never like more than medium... and I always use the Brazil as a base for a blend where I'm going for good body and comfort feel. I've been using the standard espresso profile M+++ but its results are nothing special.

Suggestion?