IKAWA Home - profiles - Page 15

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#141: Post by mgrayson »

GDM528 wrote:Why does your inlet temperature dip at the one-minute mark - is it programmed to do that? Bean drop is T=0 on the graph?
I don't know! Perhaps it's to keep a relatively constant inlet to outlet temperature difference? I'm not even sure what exhaust temperature I'm supposed to load the beans. I usually do it near 150C.

Well, here's the table from the last roast. I'm not sure how fan speeds translate between Pro100 and Home.

GDM528

#142: Post by GDM528 »

mgrayson wrote:I don't know! Perhaps it's to keep a relatively constant inlet to outlet temperature difference? I'm not even sure what exhaust temperature I'm supposed to load the beans. I usually do it near 150C.

Well, here's the table from the last roast. I'm not sure how fan speeds translate between Pro100 and Home.
Cool, so they do drop the temp intentionally. It's like they're trying to duplicate the drying phase of a drum roaster. I don't drum roast, but the light reading I've done sez that 150C is on the low end of typical charge temperatures. I would've thought the Pro app would announce when it's time to load the beans.

Given the same internal hardware, I suspect the fan settings between the Home100 and Pro100 are equivalent, but might be scaled down for the 50g units. I tried roasting off the last 30g in a bag I was pulling from, and the fan settings I had been using for 50g loads prematurely ejected nearly half the beans during the roast - ooops.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#143: Post by mgrayson » replying to GDM528 »

Actually, I've never seen a load indicator when using the Pro with an inlet profile. I should let it run for a few more minutes and see what it does.

The posted profile was for the 50g Pro. With 100g, the beans near the center would just sit there rotating slowly.

ira
Team HB

#144: Post by ira »

At least for output temperature based profiles, when the Pro reaches the desired output start temperature it changes the message to roast ready or something like that. It then waits at that temperature for up to 2 minutes for you to drop the beans at which time it starts the roast. If you forget to drop the beans, at the 2 minute mark it goes into a cooling cycle and you have to then wait that out and start over.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#145: Post by mgrayson » replying to ira »

Indeed, yes. That's how the exhaust profiles work. You don't HAVE to wait out the cooling cycle. You can just cycle power. Probably not good for circuit boards if the machine is very hot...

GDM528

#146: Post by GDM528 » replying to mgrayson »

Yes! After seeing the teardowns, it would be super-unhealthy to not let the machine complete a cooling cycle before powering off. Operational temperatures in the Ikawa are comparable to the temperatures applied to solder the components on the boards.

GDM528

#147: Post by GDM528 »

There's an update to the iOS Ikawa Home app! Who's installed it?

I have questions about it:
Can it still download 'legacy' recipes from the Android app?
Are legacy recipes still editable without the subscription service?

mathof

#148: Post by mathof » replying to GDM528 »

I've installed the update. It seems to function like the previous version, except the edit function no longer obscures the numerals that display temperatures between gaps of 50C. (I have the editing ability without paying for a subscription because I was using the Home machine and application before the release of the new Home 100.) There may be other differences -- I've only used the new app once or twice so far.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#149: Post by MNate »

The new app seems to connect without a hiccup. So that's good. Also... since this is the profile thread, the way it handles their preset profile options (without Advanced Editor) is much better because you don't have to rename one for each bean when it's always just Espresso Medium +++. At least I think that's what I'm finding.

Still wish the app let me edit the Info on non-Ikawa imported coffees (or any, for that matter) as it would be nice to have better notes. It's a shame to have still pull out the pen and paper!

GDM528

#150: Post by GDM528 »

I've updated to version 3.3.1 of the iOS app. No editor subscription, and I was about a month too late to qualify for the early-adopter editor freebie deal.

Happy to report that graph editing for legacy recipes still works without the editor subscription - *whew*.
And now the temperature readout while editing is useful:

The recipes posted on this thread from Android phones can still be downloaded and edited as 'legacy' recipes on your iPhone, including the mind-bending "CB" roast in post #135.

If I try to edit one of Ikawa's curated recipes I get the nag-screen to purchase an editor subscription for $33.99/mo - despite Ikawa's announcement of it dropping to $6.49/mo starting June 1st. I'm presuming they'll catch up with their deadline soon. So, for about the cost of about one pound of greens one can edit Ikawa's curated recipes or create from-scratch recipes with custom labels - in iOS.