IKAWA Home - profiles - Page 13

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GDM528

#121: Post by GDM528 »

mgrayson wrote:Turns out I've roasted about twice the number of batches recommended between cleanings.
"recommended"? ... I checked my owners' manual - no mention. Perhaps it's a Pro thing? What is the recommended number of batches, and how do you clean it?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#122: Post by mgrayson replying to GDM528 »

Hmmm. Good point.No information online at all! You need a felt pad to protect the electronics below the fan slots. But I can't believe that there's no provision for cleaning the Home. The pro says a medium clean after 50 roasts and a deep clean (involving Urnex Roaster Sprayz) after 100 roasts. I can't believe the recommended procedure would be different for the Home!

I think a call to support is in order.

In the meantime, look at the Pro cleaning instructions and, if necessary, order their cleaning kit which, while it has no Urnex products, DOES have felt pads and an industrial toothbrush.

Advertisement
GDM528

#123: Post by GDM528 »

sambuist wrote:I'm going to give this a try tomorrow but it will be a few weeks I can taste it.

I think it might be to dark for my espresso but work well for my French press.

Thanks for putting this together
So you let the beans rest for a few weeks before using? I've read others posting lately that longer is better, and I've only been waiting a week. Perhaps that's another experiment I should try?

One interesting thing I've observed, is the 3-minute development version of the recipe just keeps getting oilier and oilier for about a week post-roast, whereas the 2-minute development version I'm using now shows almost no change over that same timeframe.

Per posting #111 you could lower the final setpoint to 260C to get a noticeably lighter roast (City-ish) - but the rise post-1C is only about 5C, which might be considered 'baked'.

sambuist

#124: Post by sambuist »

How do you clean the home version?

GDM528

#125: Post by GDM528 »

mgrayson wrote:Hmmm. Good point.No information online at all! You need a felt pad to protect the electronics below the fan slots. But I can't believe that there's no provision for cleaning the Home. The pro says a medium clean after 50 roasts and a deep clean (involving Urnex Roaster Sprayz) after 100 roasts. I can't believe the recommended procedure would be different for the Home!

I think a call to support is in order.

In the meantime, look at the Pro cleaning instructions and, if necessary, order their cleaning kit which, while it has no Urnex products, DOES have felt pads and an industrial toothbrush.
Are there any links you can post for cleaning? I found what appears to the a Pro100 manual online, but no description of cleaning instructions.

Ironically, I've been waiting for my Home version to get dirty enough to capture the IR camera shots I posted in the thermal performance thread :)

How does this compare to how your chamber looked before cleaning?

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#126: Post by mgrayson replying to GDM528 »

For cleaning...
https://www.ikawacoffee.com/for-professionals/clean/

My roasting chamber looked dirtier than yours. I'm impressed that yours is so clean. I wonder if the Home has a more non-stick chamber.

GDM528

#127: Post by GDM528 replying to mgrayson »

Thanks for the link, very helpful!

After reading the instructions I see that I took the wrong photo. Interestingly, the cleaning procedure specifically avoids cleaning the bottom of the chamber, and instead focuses on the peripheral areas.

This is one of the areas that's covered by the cleaning procedure:

No coating on the aluminum chamber as best as I can tell. For what it's worth, bare aluminum oxidizes and self-passivates - but that's overwhelmed by the surface roughness that will trap oils and tiny particles. I collected some of those oils and particles off the chamber walls with a lightly dampened paper towel, and tasted it... nothing. If this ends up being my last post you'll know that was a bad idea :)

Didn't occur to me to keep track, so I'm only estimating my machine is a bit north of 40 roasts in those pictures. However, I almost exclusively run small, 50g batches where the beans move so fast they polish the chamber walls. I'm thinking I got a ways to go before I need to think about cleaning, but I appreciate knowing that it is a thing, and can make a difference.

Advertisement
sambuist

#128: Post by sambuist »

You are correct, there is no cleaning recommendations for a home owner. It even says that it is recommended to send in it for an overhaul once it gets too dirty. This is because it's very fiddley and complicated under the hood that it's not worth it to fix at home.

I think I even saw that it's a throw away product when it brakes :shock: . I hate throwing things out !

I guess one has to be a pro to know how to clean !!!

BUT I do clean my home machine by just getting damp rag around everything that is shallower than the little triangle thingy that kicks the beans outs . I try to get the chute and glass as clean as I feel like so I think that's about all one can do.

I don't use a felt pad , instead I just lay the unit on its side and clean , then I vacuum it out (without touching or sucking on the area below the triangle thingy.

As for resting my beans - I roast light (23 on roast vision ) for my espresso and I find it tastes best at around 2-3 weeks post roast. Plus at that age I don't have to change the grind much Over the two weeks I am using that batch. It could be different for you but if you roast light then this could help.

I also took this roast camping with me and found it to be too light for French press hence why I'm excited to give your darker profile a go.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#129: Post by mgrayson »

Sam,

Your cleaning methodology sounds good.

And I'm amazed that you can let beans rest for that long. I'll have to spend a day roasting a few pounds to get that kind of lead time. I drink EVERYTHING too soon. I'll also adopt some of the profiles above. I've had better luck with inlet temperature profiles, oddly enough.

Matt

Zoobru

#130: Post by Zoobru »

Cwilli62 wrote: Yeah, I'm signed in. On the Android app. Does it matter that I don't have the roaster in my possession yet? I was trying to get comfortable with how to use the app and share profiles/recipes before the roaster arrives.
ON android, when you get the *Tap here to open * screen, goto
top right 3 dots pull-down menu
look for *open in app*
hit that and it should pop up.
Works for me.

I am able to use the app to edit or whatever with my roaster off. It keeps looking for it but in no way impinges on my ability to use the app.
I emailed Harriet with this fix so it should be up on the www. somewhere
Have fun
Sj
Thank You all for posting profiles and doing the hard work. Great stuff