Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#81: Post by Marcelnl »

I can, I plan to do two batches of the selected bean today.
LMWDP #483

Marcelnl

#82: Post by Marcelnl »

Just completed the first two batches of the bean, IMO it's a well behaved bean, my two batches came in almost identical in time and temp at FC using my standard protocol.
We'll see how they do in a few days since I tend to roast fairly light, I liked what I smelled so far.
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#83: Post by LBIespresso »

When is the official roast date? Do we have a target date?
LMWDP #580

Marcelnl

#84: Post by Marcelnl »

do we have a number of batches and batch size, and destinations? ( I may have missed parts due to moving house..still recovering)
LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#85: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

I think we should target this weekend or the next, if people are up for it.

I think 2 different batches is good from everyone. I don't want too many in front of me.

Maybe we can go to the PMs to share addresses and such.

I think the two participants outside the US should send theirs to the closest member in a major US City (or whoever is willing). Then they can repackage and send to everyone else.

Maybe you two could roast and mail yours 2-3 days before everyone else? It will through off the resting period, but I think 6-8 days post roast is pretty similar. Otherwise, we risk not being able to taste yours side by side with everyone else's. Not a terrible thing, but not optimal.

Chert

#86: Post by Chert replying to Rickpatbrown »

Could you start a new group pm for addresses exchange? I think some who bowed out are on the last and one participant isn't on it. I suggest you propose the roast weekend and target ship date that is best for you. This is your cool idea anyway.

Off topic, sort of, it looks like haan coffee of orlando has this bean roasted for sale.
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#87: Post by Marcelnl »

sounds like a plan is coming together, just for y understanding...you plan on shipping full batches or samples?
My thinking was that I have enough to sample when I get anywhere like 100-120g from everyone, whether that is one or two individual roast batches (so 200-240g) from each is either fine with me.

What do others think, or did I miss details while lugging stuff around? (sory for that)
LMWDP #483

Advertisement
Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#88: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

The plan was to send samples. I'm going to split each batch into 6 (I think we have 6 participants). Everyone will get about 50g. I know this is not good for espresso, but I want each sample to be tied to exactly one profile. That way when we taste differences, we can replicate on our own.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#89: Post by LBIespresso »

Posting this here rather than PM since more eyeballs is better for this question:

Does anybody have a suggestion for best shipping option for 50-100 grams? Ziplock in a padded envelope by USPS?

I hear USPS is best for small boxes and padded envelopes but happy to be corrected if that's not the case.
LMWDP #580

Marcelnl

#90: Post by Marcelnl »

A knife in a small box is currently in transit with USPS to me...it was shipped from within Texas, it went to Houston, from Houston to Chicago onwards to Dallas and then to North Houston from where it is 'in transit to it's destination' (likely aboard a plane)....8 days and counting. YMMV
LMWDP #483