Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#71: Post by Marcelnl »

shipping times are lottery draws...I've received parcels within a week with USPS form the US and have seen them arrive in the US within 5 days, at the other end of the spectrum there is 10-15 days, anything in between is 'normal'
I'll opt for tracking, it should provide some insight while en route.
LMWDP #483

Chert

#72: Post by Chert »

I would guess the east coast is the place to pool samples to send to EU.

If Chuckcoffee requests the pooling of samples en route to Canada, I could ship to him from here.

It may be necessary to freeze roasted samples if there is a delay until they are all together for cupping.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
chuckcoffee

#73: Post by chuckcoffee replying to Chert »

That sounds good. I am travelling for work, back this Friday so can roast after that

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#74: Post by LBIespresso »

Rickpatbrown wrote:Should we start discussing a timeline for the shipping part if this exercise? I've had a chance to do two roasting sessions, but could benefit from maybe 1 more.

I don't know where everyone else is at in their process. I could be ready as early as next weekend, but don't mind waiting another week or two. Definitely want to get it done in February so we don't loose focus.
I roasted 2 batches in my first go and that were not up to my standards but sneaked in a batch this past Friday that showed promise. So I am in the same boat as Rick. I would be willing to make my next batch the final one or can wait until everyone else is ready.

Bottom line: I'm ready when you guys are.
LMWDP #580

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#75: Post by ShotClock »

I've also roasted three batches in two sessions, and am starting to get decent results. Am happy to set a date to roast/ship in the next few weeks if others are. I'm at the mercy of the weather to some extent, but we've had a fairly mild winter up here so far.

Another benefit to this thread/exchange is that it has forced me into roasting Ethiopian naturals for practice. I'd not roasted a lot of them since switching to a Cormorant, since I was getting terrible results. However, some concentrated practice and a systematic approach (combined with a set of default gas settings from Rao via Milligan in another thread) has led to some fairly decent coffee by my standards. I'm not finely tailoring my profile to bring out the best from the origin, but rather getting to the roast level that I want without obvious defects, but this is massive progress for me!

Chert

#76: Post by Chert »

(I haven't had weather issues, just propane tanks that don't cooperate. I think when lpg runs low the safety valve inside the tank trips closed too readily.) one roast session was cancelled for this reason.

Anyway I can roast and ship in February too.
LMWDP #198

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#77: Post by Milligan »

I'm good with whatever you guys decide.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#78: Post by Marcelnl »

I revamped Artisan (big THANKS to Carefreebuzzbuzz), moving house is done (still a war zone mess but still) so when I'm done listening to Mahler 4 by Currentzis a RCO tomorrow evening I should have some time this weekend to do a roast or two.

BTW; My last roasts that were all over the place are coming together quite nicely now the mature a bit, something I discovered a while ago...some botched roasts do well once they rest for a week or so....(perhaps everyone knows this already)
LMWDP #483

Marcelnl

#79: Post by Marcelnl »

Chert wrote:(I haven't had weather issues, just propane tanks that don't cooperate. I think when lpg runs low the safety valve inside the tank trips closed too readily.) one roast session was cancelled for this reason.

Anyway I can roast and ship in February too.
LPG is a mix of Propane and Butane, Butane does not cope well with low temperature (needs more energy to evaporate), therefore there usually is a winter and a summer mixture for LPG.

Try switching to pure Propane, that copes far better with the cold.
LMWDP #483

Chert

#80: Post by Chert »

Thanks for the tip Marcel. I may need to planto have a spring fill tank and a winter fill. I stored a tank at room temp for a few hours band that did not trip the safety valve. The hose length i put together for my setup may lead that valve to trip more easily and worse when the tank is cold.

Shall we set a roast or ship date? I think we all can roast and ship in February, right?
LMWDP #198