Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#61: Post by Milligan »

Got my greens today so I'm sure most have them by now. I plan to get familiar with them this weekend.

Marcelnl

#62: Post by Marcelnl »

first roast in the new house with a new laptop (old one decided not to want to relocate), so a new Artisan setup makes me forego using the 10lB for the roast and learn session. After this try out I want to give those beans a go.
LMWDP #483

Chert

#63: Post by Chert »

My first roast was a 200 g sample. And Thursday I roasted a full batch which for my usual method is 360 g.

I'm taking a Tonino reading on it today and cupping it and a small pourover with intention of planning the next roast based on the profile and taste.

Recently, I roasted another ethiopian natural out of my vac-packed coffee stores. I cupped 3 different roasts and found what I think is a problem with heat and fan which I was able to resolve for the current RnL roast. Considering the roasts sub-par, I pooled those beans to give away and save enough for a pourover for me. I was quite happy with the cup as pourover. For this reason I think I will cup and make coffee or maybe espresso before adjusting my roast method from this 2nd RnL test roast to next ones.
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#64: Post by Marcelnl »

for now I just need coffee that is palatable, nothing from the supermarket is drinkable...even Illy red beans seem to produce acid pi#@

well those first three batches show that roasting is a practical skill and it needs to be maintained....I was all over the place...for one because my Artisan setup went down the drain when I poured coffee in my previous laptop, secondly because my setup was suboptimal, and it was wildly cold in the new shed...
I bet it's more drinkable than the plonk we've been enduring the last two weeks.
LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#65: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Should we start discussing a timeline for the shipping part if this exercise? I've had a chance to do two roasting sessions, but could benefit from maybe 1 more.

I don't know where everyone else is at in their process. I could be ready as early as next weekend, but don't mind waiting another week or two. Definitely want to get it done in February so we don't loose focus.

Marcelnl

#66: Post by Marcelnl »

Feb sounds good to me, right now is just impossible with moving house and all that...
LMWDP #483

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#67: Post by Milligan »

I've roasted 4lbs so far at different roast levels. Funny enough, I had some friends try it and they bought them off me to take home. I'll just say, you guys picked a good bean here.

Did the group decide on how exactly it is structured? I saw something about a trial run but that isn't shipped? We only ship out final round? Thanks for the clarity.

Chert

#68: Post by Chert »

I learn a new word 'plonk'. Congrats on your new abode and roast shed back and running.

I think setting a time frame to ship final samples, quantity of each and logistics is a great idea. I can make February work - I'm flexible -at least it appears so now. When we know expected arrival of samples, I will try to firm up a time with the q grader I mentioned.

How can we best accommodate Marcelnl shipping samples? And is to EU and Canada prompt ?

As to Milligan's question , I think we have our own local trial, roast to our preferred and send that out to the others. I appreciate the focus on my method required here for quality improvement. And I look forward to seeing if mine is similar relative to yours or plonk in comparison .
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#69: Post by Marcelnl »

as far as I'm concerned, is any shipper OK, yet USPS and Dutch post can be very slow, risk of loss is the same for all....comparing rates makes me want to go with Dutch post...DHL charges 56 euro for an envelope...dutch post charges 10.50 to the US and Canada.
Shipping multiple samples at 56 a pop is a bit steep, I consider 10 euro a shipment a reasonable fee to learn.
Boy those beans will be well travelled, Ethiopia to the US, US to EU, EU to US/Canada....think I need to plant a tree to compensate CO2 emission
LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#70: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

Yeah, $56 is pretty steep. Do you have good estimates for shipping time on all of them? It might make more sense to ship your whole batch to one person and then we repackage and ship in the US.

I also propose that we pick a date and go for it and hope that Marcel's gets here in time. I don't want the coffee to be more than 1 week past roast for when we cup.

Speaking of which, everyone keep and eye out for peak flavor. If we find this coffee peaks soon or needs an extended rest, that might affect our decisions.