Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#51: Post by LBIespresso »

First and foremost, thank you Rick for all of the work you have put in so far.

As for cupping, I think we can work out something where we each only send out 5 samples and then compile results after all is said and done.

This type of approach would allow us to scale something like this to larger groups in the future.

For example:
Person 1 sends to 2,3,4,5,6
Person 2 to 3,4,5,6,7
Person 6 to 7,8,9,1,2

That makes for 6 cups on the table (the 5 you get and your own).

Just some quick thoughts but open to other ideas.
LMWDP #580

Chert

#52: Post by Chert »

UPS predicts I'll have the green coffee Jan 18.
LMWDP #198

Marcelnl

#53: Post by Marcelnl »

I just put in my order for 10Lb, I expect it'll take a few days more to reach me than for the others.
LMWDP #483

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#54: Post by Milligan »

I put my order in this evening. Looking forward to it.

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#55: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

LBIespresso wrote:First and foremost, thank you Rick for all of the work you have put in so far.

As for cupping, I think we can work out something where we each only send out 5 samples and then compile results after all is said and done.

This type of approach would allow us to scale something like this to larger groups in the future.

For example:
Person 1 sends to 2,3,4,5,6
Person 2 to 3,4,5,6,7
Person 6 to 7,8,9,1,2

That makes for 6 cups on the table (the 5 you get and your own).

Just some quick thoughts but open to other ideas.
Yes. This is how I envisioned the process. I also thought people could send more than one batch.

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#56: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Things look pretty good. We have a good number of participants. I think the Cormorant roasters will be interesting if their coffee is similar or different to the Huky's.

I'm looking at the 17th for delivery. I hope to get one or two roast sessions in and then do the final one on February 5th or maybe the following weekend depending on what others think.

There's no reason we can't wait longer, but I'd rather do it sooner than later.

Do you guys think we should have an embargo on profile/flavor talk? I'd really like to see where each person's process gets them without influence if others.

But if people think they can get to a significantly better finish with some general advice (like, takes heat sluggishly then runs away ... Type of stuff) ... Maybe that saves you from a super crappy roast?

Marcelnl

#57: Post by Marcelnl »

My order is already shipped too, I have to commend the folks at Showroom for great cooperation in the slightly weird exercise to send 10 pounds of beans across the world in first class especially when considering the lowly travel most beans get.

I do not see an issue with discussing general traits of the beans, bar sharing profiles (which we also can discuss). Much like getting some basic info from other roasters when buying your other greens, rather than each having to stumble across the same issues (if any).
LMWDP #483

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#58: Post by Milligan »

I think an embargo on our taste notes and impressions of the coffee should be in place until the cupping portion of the exercise. Perhaps we can get through the first trial and see if a profile embargo makes sense as well (tricky bean, weird behavior, silent FC, etc.) Up for anything really though.

EarlyStarts

#59: Post by EarlyStarts »

Just saw this today. I ordered the greens today. If I am too late to participate directly, that is fine. I will just do my own thing.

Chert

#60: Post by Chert »

EarlyStarts wrote:Just saw this today. I ordered the greens today. If I am too late to participate directly, that is fine. I will just do my own thing.

Welcome to this exercise in roasting and cupping ! I don't think it's too late - depending on the number the swap plan may change, but the more the merrier.
LMWDP #198