Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 11

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#101: Post by LBIespresso »

Like Flint said, go buy some. Even if you don't get your roast in to this exchange you can follow along here and learn a ton just from the posted profiles and the following discussion.

But I bet you will get your green and roast it in time to participate. Either way, the more participation in this thread the better. Welcome aboard!
LMWDP #580

Marcelnl

#102: Post by Marcelnl »

small update on the UPSP parcel I have coming my way....15 days and counting...no delivery in sight yet.
I just hope shipping roasted beans TO the US is faster, it'll mostly depend on where the handover takes place (before or after entry into the US)

edit; it's still circling around in TX... :shock:
Webster, Houston, Chicago, Dallas, North Houston and now Coppel...did I leave out major cities in TX as I expect the package to hit them all :roll:
LMWDP #483

Marcelnl

#103: Post by Marcelnl »

sitting here waiting until the Huky is up to temperature I started wondering if there is any particularly easy way to spot when it's come to a temp 'equilibrium' (meaning, hot enough to rock and roll)

SO far I've been using various time periods ranging from 30 min to 0, and I THINK it needs some time to temp stabilize but I haven't approached that topic methodologically.

Now looking at the the Artisan screen running delta BT might be a nice giveaway...currenty at 1.5kPa and 5 min into it delta BT shows low numbers like 1-0.1....
I typically charge at 275'C (I know, using a perfoated drum here so BT means little without actual beans) ET is at 235'C...

anyone with ideas, or more info?
LMWDP #483

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#104: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

I usually just do 20 minute at about .5 Kpa/low air flow settings. After 20 minutes, I'm usually approaching my usual charge temp. I'll do a "fake drop" ... Increase fan and kill gas, open the door. After 15 seconds, I'll close the door and let the BT drop for about the time it takes to save a file, load a new background, etc. Then I do my normal in-between-batch protocol to heat up for my first roast.

Basically, I simulate a roast, but without the beans.

The proof is in my first roast. Generally, it follows a background well and I don't see much variation between first and sixth batch for the day. That being said, I'll try to do less critical batch as my first.

#105: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Btw ... I'm still coughing up a lung, but I feel much better. Most importantly (besides being alive) I can taste and smell!

Let's shoot for next weekend to roast, if everyone is able. I'll send out a PM to everyone so that we can exchange mailing addresses.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#106: Post by Milligan »

I roughly use Rao's method for initial warm up. I heat slowly (over 15 mins or so) to 20F over my charge temp. Then cut gas and let it drift down to -20F below drop temp. Set fan, drum speed, and gas to my initial settings for the batch and drop as it hits my charge temp. Between batches, I let it drift down to charge temp and go. It works pretty well.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#107: Post by Brewzologist »

I also use Rao's warmup and BBP recommendations but trimmed back the times because the Huky warms up quicker. I use my normal roast fan speed so the exhaust piping warms up too and doesn't steal heat from the drum.

Marcelnl

#108: Post by Marcelnl »

Rickpatbrown wrote:I usually just do 20 minute at about .5 Kpa/low air flow settings. After 20 minutes, I'm usually approaching my usual charge temp. I'll do a "fake drop" ... Increase fan and kill gas, open the door. After 15 seconds, I'll close the door and let the BT drop for about the time it takes to save a file, load a new background, etc. Then I do my normal in-between-batch protocol to heat up for my first roast.

Basically, I simulate a roast, but without the beans.

The proof is in my first roast. Generally, it follows a background well and I don't see much variation between first and sixth batch for the day. That being said, I'll try to do less critical batch as my first.
I did the Rao-ish method, and what is described above and the latter one resembles what i did most. There is one major difference, the perforated drum needs a lot more heat when empty (typical charge temp of 275 'C anything much lower makes me end up with a baked roast)

Next weekend works for me! (just did another two batches a couple of days ago)
LMWDP #483

#109: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

We are roasting and shipping this weekend. We've moved to What's App for logistic communication, but will be sure to share here with actual tasting and profiles, in the end.

We haven't figured out the actual tasting and sharing format, but if anyone wants to follow along and wants to roast some this weekend, we will let everyone know the plan.

Marcelnl

#110: Post by Marcelnl »

I guess we may need to taste in isolation...apparently our circadian rythm influences smell by quite a bit;
https://www.brown.edu/news/2017-10-26/smell
21:00 it is

Suggest we follow this protocol (with one known premeditated difference; roast time)
https://sca.coffee/research/protocols-best-practices
LMWDP #483