Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mkane »

Roast & learn use to be a frequent thing here @ HB. Too bad you're limiting it to a Huky.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by pcofftenyo replying to mkane »

Be glad you're not a Huky prisoner :D

Seriously though, count me in if there's room. I still use/love my Huky, esp with charges around 350g.

I just bought sacks of a Sumatra and a Grade 3 Ethio, both of which roasted up really nice for sample roasts. Could split out enough for the participants if interested.

Advertisement
chuckcoffee

#13: Post by chuckcoffee »

You could add my name in. Located in Canada

Rickpatbrown (original poster)

#14: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

mkane wrote:Roast & learn use to be a frequent thing here @ HB. Too bad you're limiting it to a Huky.
Yeah. I know that kind of sucks. Admittedly, this is quite self serving. I really want to see how the people affect the coffee.

I'm a scientist, so I'm trained to control variables in experimental design!

Also, I needed a way to limit it to a few people so that shipping costs aren't prohibitively.

A future round might compare how different machines affect the roast. I don't know how you would normalize the roast profiles though.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by LBIespresso »

mkane wrote:Roast & learn use to be a frequent thing here @ HB. Too bad you're limiting it to a Huky.
I agree. Yet, I am going to try to do the same thing for Cormorant owners for the same reasons that Rick mentions.

Maybe a better way to do it is a Roast and Learn with multiple threads and post roast exchanges?

Rick, do you want to try and coordinate the green used? That way anyone who wants to share curves can do so in the main thread and there can be machine specific threads as well. A bit cumbersome forum-wise but it would get more data out there.
LMWDP #580

#16: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) replying to LBIespresso »

We could order multiple bags of a Crown Jewel or bump it up to a gem. I'd be happy to distribute one for up to 10-15 people and we could divide people into machine divisions where they ship roasted samples amongst themselves. Or we have an "open division". Lots of options.

Another limitation is the batch size of most of our roasters. I think there should be enough of each sample for a cupping and a pour over ... So about 30-35 grams of roasted beans. For my roaster 300/30g = 10 maximum recipients of my roasted coffee batch.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by LBIespresso replying to Rickpatbrown »

I would split up a box and ship it. I would think that 3 or 4 pounds per person (I'd gladly take down more myself). I was thinking the same about going with a crown box. I like the idea of a washed coffee for a R&L but am open to a natural.

After roasting I imagined each of us sending and receiving 4 samples to cup. Then somehow sharing notes on here. It will be a bit messy to follow but shouldn't be too bad. I say we shoot for a roast date in late January.

What do you think?

Maybe each person that orders a box and spits it can "captain" their roaster team. There can be a Huky division, a Cormorant division, and an open division if anyone else wants to jump in.
LMWDP #580

Advertisement
mkane
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mkane »

How about a drop temp division?

Marcelnl

#19: Post by Marcelnl »

I like the idea of a multi disciplenary setup, yet...pour over? whatsup...I'm espresso only, cupping will work but I'll need some more weight to tune in espresso...My thought was to do 2 or 3 roasts aiming for a similar/identical roast and mixing those up before divvying up and shipping the portions out.

or I need to start experimenting with pour overs now, so I know what to expect and what to do....
LMWDP #483

#20: Post by Rickpatbrown (original poster) »

Ok! Let's Do This!

I've updated my first post. Please take a look and see if you are down to play!

Huky Roast and Learn ... Prisoner exchange edition