Huky IR burner issue

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
N6GQ

#1: Post by N6GQ »

Hey friends, this morning when I fired up the burner under my Huky I found there was no way to keep just the burner filament lit, rather I had flames dancing on the filament up to the bottom of the drum. Nothing different today than any other day. I think it has to do with the rotary switch on the side, not the one that controls gas level, the one that turns the burner on/off. I seem to remember it having detents and now it seems different.
Suggestions? Thanks...
LMWDP #614

N6GQ (original poster)

#2: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

Got an email back from Mr. Li, suggesting perhaps some chaff got into the burner and is burning. I will clean it out and report back...
LMWDP #614

N6GQ (original poster)

#3: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

Cleaning didn't help. Mr Li suggests a deeper cleaning. Will try that. In the mean time, this is what I'm talking about.
LMWDP #614

N6GQ (original poster)

#4: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

Deeper cleaning - didn't change anything. I'm still at square one.
LMWDP #614

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Brewzologist »

Assume you checked all your connections, tank, bad regulator, etc? Could it possibly be a clog or needle valve needing cleaning? Marcel may eventually chime in too; he had a cracked ceramic stove after many years of use. I don't use the switch on the side in regular practice, and leave it on the setting that uses the entire ceramic disk (vs. just the center).

N6GQ (original poster)

#6: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

I cleaned the burner assembly inside and out thoroughly, but haven't gone through the regulator. I guess that's next. Thanks!
LMWDP #614

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

This will happen if the air inlet get's clogged or the flow changes so the gas won't have enough air to burn under the screen.

N6GQ (original poster)

#8: Post by N6GQ (original poster) replying to ira »

Thanks Ira, how would you typically fix this? I see that the black knob on the side seems to act a bit as a carburetor and maybe its varying air/fuel ratio, and it does have somewhat of an effect, but not enough to get things back to what was "normal".

I've vacuumed out the burner assembly per Mr Li, it was already very clean. The regulator/hose assembly is all I haven't cleaned, so not sure what I could do there.

Any thoughts on what else to clean, or something to be more thorough? Your suggestion very much rallies around what I am seeing (that its an air/fuel ratio problem).

Thank you,
LMWDP #614

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

If you can take the IR surface off, what does the flame look like without it? Sometimes turning it way down and then back up may cause the flame to jump back to the burner.

Ira

N6GQ (original poster)

#10: Post by N6GQ (original poster) replying to ira »

Will try, thanks Ira.
LMWDP #614