Huky IR burner issue - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
N6GQ (original poster)

#21: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

mikeTRON wrote:Any update on this?

Worst case scenario are you simply replacing the burner? On that note are there upgraded burners or do most folks simply replace with the Huky IR burner?
Today I filled the propane tank - wasn't that.

Today I ordered a new regulator as suggested above. It should arrive tomorrow - I'll install and report back.

If that doesn't work I'm out of ideas. Have to get another burner I guess. At that point I may move towards a more common burner, although I don't yet know what that is.

Sadly, I'm out of fresh beans before a long holiday :|
LMWDP #614

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by Brewzologist »

I've got +5 years on my original Huky IR stove. I've researched alternative stoves but never found anything demonstrably better for the Huky. Plus I wasn't excited about having to dial-in my profiles again with a new type of stove either. So, in preparation for my stove failing one day, I ordered a backup from Mr. Li. You can also get it stateside from Showroom Coffee. The plus with having a backup IR stove is you also get the gauge and needle valve as spare parts if needed. Perhaps others will chime in with suggestions for a different stove they've had success with.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#23: Post by Marcelnl »

More than likely will the regulator and presure gauge and the chassis of the burner be OK, and you willl need to replace the ceramic (plus bowl) at some point as the ceramics do wear due to the high temp and heating/cooling cycles.
LMWDP #483

N6GQ (original poster)

#24: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

Update: I got a new regulator (0-5psi) and swapped it in. Same problem. It has to be the ceramic burner screen or the bowl that is the issue. Sigh. I don't know if another stove that fits like this one does, but am open to suggestion. I'm used to roasting with it and like it but need to find something that works. This one is about 6 months old.
LMWDP #614

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Brewzologist »

Bummer. Was hoping the regulator would be it. If you're in a time crunch to get roasting again, you can get a new stove here: https://showroomcoffee.com/product/repl ... -huky-500/. Otherwise you might email Mr. Li for suggestions and options. And if you only had it for 6 months you might inquire if he'll warranty it too.

Marcelnl

#26: Post by Marcelnl »

Mr Li sent me a new bowl (it comes with the ceramic disc as one part), it arrived within 10 days from emailing him. Did you communicate with him?

You could try taking out the nozzles and sticking a very fine needle through to clean them (do not attempt to push something too large in or it may get stuck), try vacuuming the ceramic dust is any from the surface...
LMWDP #483

N6GQ (original poster)

#27: Post by N6GQ (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

Yup, I've vacuumed the disc and bowl out well, and can't see any issues with the nozzles. I have been in contact with Mr Li and asked about a new disc/bowl but no word yet...
LMWDP #614

Advertisement
N6GQ (original poster)

#28: Post by N6GQ (original poster) »

I heard back from Mr Li, he is advising me that the high flames are normal. How many Huky users here have flames like this on their burner?
LMWDP #614

bean2friends

#29: Post by bean2friends »

I get high flames intermittently from chaff. I haven't noticed that it affects the roast.

N6GQ (original poster)

#30: Post by N6GQ (original poster) replying to bean2friends »

But otherwise the flame is contained within the ceramic disc, right? That's the way mine had been all along, and what I expect from an IR a stove. Then one day it wasn't.
LMWDP #614