Huky - Gas Regulator

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
chuckcoffee

#1: Post by chuckcoffee »

So I am using the stock regulator(green) that came with the Huky. The fit into the propane tank has not been great. I have it tighened up with teflon and check for leaks with bubble solution every session. I was looking for a better regulator with better pressure adjustment.

I got this one but with the shutdown now affecting hardware stores I cannot go and test fit.
The specs list this connection.

So any idea where would I find this so that I can connect to the Huky hose and tech details of what I need

Outlet connection: 5/8"-18UNF - 3/8 inch female flare fitting has an outside diameter of 5/8 inch

Huky Regulator

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Take a look at this thread:

Propane regulator issue
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

Be careful with regulators. Most of the fixed regulators have their pressure set to around 11" water. The one you linked to is probably 0-10 PSI which is an order of magnitude or two higher pressure. When I made that swap on my Ooni pizza oven I needed to put a very small jet at the pizza oven to limit the flow or the flame almost always blew out from to much flow.

Ira

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

Not sure what you are showing, as the units are different from mine but the web says 5 PSIG equals 1.4 BAR...that is IMO way too much for the Huky IR burner and it may (MAY) therefore be hard to adjust with precision.

I started with a 30mBar regulator and ended using a 50mBar regulator. Connections depend on the gas bottle, I ditched the stock hose for a the gas hose that came with the regulator. I reckon that if you go look for a regulator for your type of gas container you'll find one once you know the range you need for the regulator.
BTW Where I live Liquefied Petroleum Gas or LPG is a mix of propane and butane so to be sure; I'm using propane with the proper burner nozzle.
LMWDP #483

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

ira wrote:Be careful with regulators. Most of the fixed regulators have their pressure set to around 11" water. The one you linked to is probably 0-10 PSI which is an order of magnitude or two higher pressure. When I made that swap on my Ooni pizza oven I needed to put a very small jet at the pizza oven to limit the flow or the flame almost always blew out from to much flow.

Ira
totally OT BUT important as it concerns Pizza; How is that Ooni doing? (currently using a wood fired oven but it needs loads of tweaking as it has the fire below the oven) Have some Caputo Cuoco on the way....
LMWDP #483

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

I have the Pro which I'm pretty happy with. I'm not doing much over 750F as I've not found a decent source for 00 flour yet. If I was to buy one today, I'd probably get the Koda 16 which is getting some decent reviews on pizzamaking.com. You will need to turn the pie as it cooks as the heat is uneven, but other than that it looks really good. Normal stuff for small ovens.

Ira

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Brewzologist »

I have a 0-5 PSI variable propane regulator similar to the one you posted, and I use 2 gauges with it. One gauge (0-5 PSI) is installed after the regulator and before the needle valve, and I use it to adjust the regulator to a stove input pressure of ~1.2 PSI. The other gauge (0-6 kPa) is installed after the needle valve, and is used to adjust the burner setting during the roast. I only go up to 5kPa which I have heard that Mr. Li states is the limit of the stock stove. This setup may be overkill, but I believe it provides an added safety margin when using a variable regulator. I've been running this way for two years with no issues.

chuckcoffee (original poster)

#8: Post by chuckcoffee (original poster) »

Steve

Could you provide the orders details on the 1st gauge and connections you used. That looks like a good setup.

"One gauge (0-5 PSI) is installed after the regulator and before the needle valve, and I use it to adjust the regulator to a stove input pressure of ~1.2 to 1.5 PSI."

Marcelnl

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

ira wrote:I have the Pro which I'm pretty happy with. I'm not doing much over 750F as I've not found a decent source for 00 flour yet. If I was to buy one today, I'd probably get the Koda 16 which is getting some decent reviews on pizzamaking.com. You will need to turn the pie as it cooks as the heat is uneven, but other than that it looks really good. Normal stuff for small ovens.

Ira
OT
Thanks! I can highly recommend Caputo Cuoco, especially in a mix with 10-15% Manitoba, slow rise in the fridge for 16-24-48 hours.

On Topic:
My 50mBar regulator gives me like 4.5 kPa on the burner, which is surely enough to get as I found out recently that my scales are wonky so I ended up getting 600g or so to FC in 8 minutes with my normal gas settings
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Brewzologist »

chuckcoffee wrote:Steve

Could you provide the orders details on the 1st gauge and connections you used. That looks like a good setup.

"One gauge (0-5 PSI) is installed after the regulator and before the needle valve, and I use it to adjust the regulator to a stove input pressure of ~1.2 to 1.5 PSI."

I am using Dwyer gauges: LPG4-D8222N and SGY-D10342N

As I recall, the stove connection is male 1/4 NPT, and the regulator hose connection is female 3/8 flare. (Check this as I am going from memory). I bought a 1/4 NPT tee with 2 female and 1 male connections, and an elbow with female 1/4 NPT to male 3/8 flare. Zoom in on that picture to see how they are assembled.