Huky - Gas Regulator - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

chuckcoffee wrote:
So any idea where would I find this so that I can connect to the Huky hose and tech details of what I need
There are some 0-5 psig adjustable regulators available on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GasSaf-High-Pr ... 2935365903
LMWDP 267

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist »

Adding info from PM on this topic for others benefit:

I usually set the input pressure to ~1.2 PSI on the SGY-D10342N. The range of the SGY-D10342N is more than needed, but I learned the hard way with variable regulators you can inadvertently exceed the pressure limit of a gauge and ruin it. So I opted for a larger range to provide extra buffer in case I opened the variable regulator more than I should. And the reason I swapped out the stock gauge after the needle valve with the LPG4-D8222N is better resolution. I recommend this HIGHLY for more precise gas control of your roasts on the Huky.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Steve, it would be great to show an image with your parts list so that this question is answered once and for all for Huky owners.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist »

Sure thing Michael. See parts list and images below.

(1) 0-5PSI variable pressure QCC1 propane regulator
(1) Dwyer gauge: SGY-D10342N (before needle valve)
(1) Dwyer gauge: LPG4-D8222N (after needle valve)
(1) 1/4 NPT brass tee with 2 female and 1 male connections
(1) brass elbow with female 1/4 NPT to male 3/8 flare
(1) roll thread tape for gas lines

hankua
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by hankua »

Here's another option, in-line gate valve before needle valve. The Feima factory adjusts the gate valve for Taiwan, removes the handle and tosses it in the trash. You carefully adjust the gate valve with the needle valve wide open for maximum burner pressure. Too many customers blowing out the pressure gauge :roll:

ado

#16: Post by ado »

I think I can get better results from normal kitchen stove rather than IR stove, anybody has the same experience?

Marcelnl

#17: Post by Marcelnl replying to ado »

is geting
depends on what gas and pressure regulator you are using for the IR burner and what stove at what gas pressure you compare it too...surely one of those Jet Wok burners will outdo the IR burner on a measly supply. I do not see any need for more power than the 4.5kpa the IR burner is getting through the 50mBar regulator, my kitchen stove is running 30mBar and probably pushes out as much heat as the IR burner.
(tried doing some stir frying on the IR burner in the basement but got equal results as on the kitchen stove Wok burner)
LMWDP #483

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Brewzologist »

ado wrote:I think I can get better results from normal kitchen stove rather than IR stove, anybody has the same experience?

The IR stove has a needle valve and gauge that allows precise regulation of gas so you can achieve a desired roast profile. Can you get the same control from your kitchen stove? To me, this is the most important consideration given both stoves likely provide all the BTU's needed for a roaster like the Huky.

edpiep

#19: Post by edpiep »

Brewzologist wrote:Sure thing Michael. See parts list and images below.

(1) 0-5PSI variable pressure QCC1 propane regulator
(1) Dwyer gauge: SGY-D10342N (before needle valve)
(1) Dwyer gauge: LPG4-D8222N (after needle valve)
(1) 1/4 NPT brass tee with 2 female and 1 male connections
(1) brass elbow with female 1/4 NPT to male 3/8 flare
(1) roll thread tape for gas lines

Steve, was this install pretty easy? I can imagine the resolution is better with that gauge on the Huky, the stock one ain't bad but it's far from perfect. Thinking of getting my 500T a makeover so to speak. I am not too sure about how all the regulators/hoses work practically although I do get what thy are doing conceptually.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Brewzologist »

The install is easy. Everything just screws together. Read my posts in this thread and it will be pretty obvious how to do that. The order I turn the system on to purge it and avoid over-pressurizing is:

1) Ensure needle valve on IR stove and the variable regulator are closed.
2) Slowly open valve on propane tank.
3) Slowly open regulator to ~1.2 PSI on input gauge.
4) Slowly open needle valve to 4-5 kPa on output gauge to allow some gas to flow, then close it.
5) Check input gauge and adjust regulator back to ~1.2 PSI if needed.

Sounds like a lot, but it just takes a minute and you can then begin warming up your roaster.