How to Split a Daterra Masterpiece - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#21: Post by Chert »

Chert wrote:The auction lots are larger I think than 53 lb and it would be interesting to compare historical auction prices to these offerings. ...
I couldn't get to it on my ipod, but at my computer I found some data.

This link has a reasonable comparison of last year's auction for consideration of price and lot size. Daterra 2019 Auction results. The short answer is that this year's listing appears to bring prices way down compared to last years auction. An example is the Laurina last year at $34 - $38.
LMWDP #198

FourT

#22: Post by FourT »

I'd like to get in on this. Would be happy to try any of these, especially curious about the laurinas.

FourT

#23: Post by FourT »

D20 looks good as well, as others have mentioned. I'd be willing to get more than one lot if there's enough interest.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Brewzologist »

You people are a bad, bad, BAD influence on me! But I do agree with Dave's premise about price/cup and have rationalized my purchases of expensive whisky's that way. 8)

Yes, count me in as interested in 5-10lbs

Chert

#25: Post by Chert »

These are the three, in this order, that I am hearing most interest.

#1 {D20} Guarani Natural Aerobic Fermentation
Description

Nose: tropical fruits, molasses.
Flavor: papaya, green apple, mango, rosé wine.

Varietal: Guarani is a selection of the Aramosa varietal performed in Daterra. The Aramosa is a cross between Coffea Arabica and Coffea Racemosa that we have been researching in our farm in partnership with The Agronomic Institute of Campinas. We have grown many generations of Aramosa and, a couple of years ago, we noticed that some trees were more productive than the rest. We selected seeds from these trees and named this selection Guarani.

Process: We made this coffee fermenting the ripe Guarani cherries inside an open tank. We don't use water, yeast, or any other additives - it's an open, natural fermentation.

Screen size: 16/18
Plot: BV 35
Harvesting: Handpicking
Drying: Patio

USD $16.00/lb
#2 {D12}Catigua Natural Anaerobic Fermentation
Description

Nose: red berries, floral, winey.
Flavor: Floral, red berries, Beaujolais red wine, apple; malic acidity.

Varietal: the Catigua varietal is a cross between yellow Catuai and a Timor Hybrid, with short trees that give red cherries. We consider this a very promising varietal for the future of specialty coffee: not only the coffee tastes great, but the plants are also resistant to the coffee leaf rust.

Process: The Catigua cherries fermented inside a tank equipped with a valve system that prevents any gas from entering the tank. As the cherries ferment, they release CO2 and, because carbon dioxide is denser than oxygen, it pushes the lighter gas out through the valve. After a few hours, the tank environment becomes completely anaerobic, allowing the perfect conditions for microorganisms to perform enzymatic reactions inside of the beans.

Plot: BV 40
Harvesting: Handpicking
Drying: Raised Beds

USD $16.00/lb

#3 {D11} Red Bourbon Natural Anaerobic Fermentation
Description
Nose: raisins, black berries, blueberries
Flavor: blackberries, acai berry, malbec wine, floral, grapes, ume-shu

Plot: BV 43
Harvesting: Selective Mechanical
Drying: Raised Beds

USD $18.00/lb
I will go live with Buy/Sell tonight as I have been in contact with a partner importer, but to do that I want to be sure of which lots to prioritize. I want to limit to the under $20 per pound selections. So let me know and watch for that buy sell post.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

I have my distribution opportunity listed under buy/ sell for D 20. Since I can secure the box, I will limit to that.

if you wish to pony up for another 1 look at that thread. I am sure Kevin from Theta Ridge could arrange the sale for you as well. But his deadline is 4 pm EST tomorrow.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#27: Post by Chert replying to Chert »

Well I misunderstood. The importers also have to compete at the website, but they get their chance a week early. So wish this buying group luck whenever Theta Ridge goes to place our order.
LMWDP #198

Strifer

#28: Post by Strifer »

Thanks for the update Chert! Hopefully we can still obtain that box. For my knowledge, are you aware of how the purchases work? Is it an auction or first come first serve?

Chert

#29: Post by Chert »

First come, first served this year instead of auction.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava (original poster)

#30: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Thanks to all of Flint's work, we walk with the prize. Theta Ridge scored.

Muito obrigado, Flint.
-----
LMWDP #339