How long can you store green coffee?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bilsch

#1: Post by bilsch »

Subject says it all ;) How long do folks think is the longest you should hold onto green beans?

I have some beans that are like 2+ years old. When I roasted last they tasted fine but I did not notice some of the nicer flavors I had in the past. But with the roaster ( behmor ) that could very easily be explained there!

tompoland

#2: Post by tompoland »

From memory the book Dear Coffee Buyer recommends 5 months maximum in cool dry conditions but you will hear of people enjoying their beans two or three years later.
A little obsessed.

Ken5

#3: Post by Ken5 »

I bought some bags of daterra a couple of months ago from George Howell that had a harvest date of July-August 2020 on the bag!!!

Ken

littlenut

#4: Post by littlenut »

UP FRONT - I have never done this or have first hand experience with this.

Some here have vacuum sealed green beans and stored in a chest freezer for years. Maybe one of 'em will stop by. -LN

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

If stored properly and don't lose their moisture, one year easy, and many on here go more. Storage is key. Since I don't have any room, I shoot for using them within 6 months max of my receipt. Try to buy fresh harvest.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

littlenut wrote:UP FRONT - I have never done this or have first hand experience with this.

Some here have vacuum sealed green beans and stored in a chest freezer for years. Maybe one of 'em will stop by. -LN

I've had good results roasting greens that were vacuum sealed & stored in our upright FF freezers for 10-11 years. Just recently roasted 1 lb of 10 year old Yemen greens that produced some very tasty shots.
LMWDP 267

Mbb

#7: Post by Mbb »

Easily at least a year.

Most of that green coffee is already 6 months old by the time it gets to you. It's a long process to get it to you

Capuchin Monk

#8: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I thought the unroasted coffee bean shelf life is measured in years. Last I checked, it's up to 2 years in room temperature. That was 20 years ago so maybe some updated info came out?

tompoland

#9: Post by tompoland replying to Capuchin Monk »

Most likely it varies a lot from crop to elevation to regional differences to personal preferences. Tantalizingly, there is only one way to be sure: drink for coffee!
A little obsessed.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Peppersass »

George Howell freezes his greens immediately after delivery. He has said that loss of flavor is continuous after processing and can be detected in a very short period of time after he receives a shipment. I can't recall if he said within one week or a few weeks, but it wasn't long. I don't know if he vacuum seals the greens before freezing, but it seems unlikely with the large volume of greens he goes through.

I vacuum seal and freeze my greens, though the freezer of my kitchen refrigerator isn't as cold as a chest freezer. I've had excellent results with greens that have been stored that way for 4+ years.
★ Helpful