How hard is roasting? High end programmable home roasting machines? - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by pcofftenyo »

yakster wrote:Stick with it and you'll get the hang of it. You'll probably come up to speed faster if you stick with one or two batch sizes when you roast.
As with everything else: 99% practice.

BTW Yak, do you have a decent Brazil natural profile for the Bullet you don't mind sharing? I burnt another 700g last night which is what I bought it for. I think it's so quiet I'm missing 1C.

drgary
Team HB

#72: Post by drgary »

Hi Everyone,

As a reminder, here's the essence of this topic.
dsc106 wrote:Are there high end home machines - like a Decent Espresso style machine - for roasting? Where I can use software to match other people's profiles to easily create ideal roasts for different varietals, and then tweak myself to taste? And to be able to do it pretty hands off?
Of course other questions will come up. Please use direct messaging or start another thread where you can for followups on those.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#73: Post by yakster »

For me, first crack starts almost invariably at 211 C on the ITBS sensor so if I don't hear first crack start, I'll mark it as started then. That's one of the advantages of the IR sensor, that the first crack temps typically stay the same regardless of bean or batch size. I think that others report their first crack temp being lower so it may not be consistent across different Bullet roasters.

I don't think I have anything in particular for a Brazil Natural, but if I find one I'll post it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

AJbarista

#74: Post by AJbarista »

Roasting is not as hard as people say in contradictory to what everyone says here. It is quite easy to roast and have as good of roasted coffee as any major speciality roaster. The key is to know the beans and know the roaster. With Ikawa and Roest creating roast profiles this has become much easier. What is important is quality of green beans (highest importance), followed by roasting to your roast level preference, even micro roaster cannot roast the coffee to your roast level liking and for you spouse or friend some other level. The short answer it is quite easy and you can get significantly better coffee than most of the local roasters, NOT all. Just get good beans, and learn initially and leverage roast profiles shared by the manufacturers of the machine.