HotTop - top filter? - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by JohnB. »

Use the fan to draw smoke out the rear & pull heat through the roast.
LMWDP 267

expy98

#32: Post by expy98 »

and if you need more fan speed than 4, lift the rear filter a little or a lot...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by JohnB. »

If you replace the stock rear filter & cover cloth with a stainless computer fan filter you will never need to use F4. I run F1 or F2 during a roast & only hit F3 when I REALLY need to put the brakes on. If you are trying to drop or slow the ET rise just crack the bean chute cover open 1/8" or so.
LMWDP 267

expy98

#34: Post by expy98 »

I've tried that, both w/ one and two SS filters. Neither slows down the airflow effectively and even at F1 it's too fast and it loses too much heat and the roast just drags on, at least for me anyway.

Don't you have the one and only unobtainium higher wattage heating element? Perhaps that can better deal w/ the higher airflow SS filter.

It seems that the rear "filter" isn't really a "filter", more of a flow restrictor...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by JohnB. »

I used the stainless rear filter for several years with the stock heating element. The only thing that ever dragged out my roasts was low voltage (117v at the outlet) so I picked up a variac. With the stock element I had no problem hitting 8:30-9:00 minute 1C times with 227g loads running the fan on 1 or 2. With the larger element I can hit the same times with 300g loads running the fan throughout the roast.
LMWDP 267

expy98

#36: Post by expy98 »

wow that is awesome. Forget the $5K Hottop, we need to replicate your heating element. I typically do 200g batch (fits 2 half-pint jars) but if I can do 300g, that's a 50% increase in throughput.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: dibs on your Hottop when you're ready to sell it :-)