HotTop - top filter? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

Interesting. The top filter in my HotTop is the original that shipped with the machine many years ago. Never had a need to change it and it has around 8 years on it and hundreds if not thousands of pounds of coffee roasted in it.
Dave Stephens

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by JohnB. »

Open up the filter holder & see what's left in there. They shrink up after a couple years & allow heat to pour out of the roasting area. Replace the filter material with a couple layers of sheet insulation.
LMWDP 267

Spitz.me

#13: Post by Spitz.me »

I just got a used Hottop. I'm interested in this top filter mod. Just get any high temperature sheet insulation, I guess?
LMWDP #670

JK

#14: Post by JK »

I just took these images today and have not tried it out yet..

I bought these computer fan screens on the net some place..
I have been using two with a piece of t-shirt between them.
The cloth would clog up fast and I am going to try three screens that just fit and may need some flattening with a hammer on the edges one at a time not hammered into the holder..

I also noticed the top filter had shrunk significantly..
I had washed it once but it was black carbon this time..
It's getting close to a year old and should have been changed long ago..

I'm going to try a stainless steel scrubbing pad packed as tight as possible..

-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

JK wrote:The cloth would clog up fast and I am going to try three screens that just fit and may need some flattening with a hammer on the edges one at a time not hammered into the holder..
You must have bought some very thin stainless screens if you can squeeze 3 in that rear filter holder. I use one & it just fits in there.

Stainless mesh in the top filter won't do much to hold heat in unless it eventually clogs up.
LMWDP 267

Randy G.

#16: Post by Randy G. »

It is better to use one of the stainless filters and use something to block some of it off to emulate the airflow resistance of the original filter. I used a thin sheet of aluminum with 4 punched-out one inch holes, but aluminum foil should also work./ The problem with using that many filters is that under heat the original holder will release the inner filter and it will get stuck in the machine making it impossible to pull out the filter making removal of the fan assembly necessary. it has happened to me with just one filter.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

Randy G. wrote:It is better to use one of the stainless filters and use something to block some of it off to emulate the airflow resistance of the original filter.
Why would you want to that? The idea is to improve air flow. As it is air flow will be reduced as the screen gets dirty.
LMWDP 267

Randy G.

#18: Post by Randy G. replying to JohnB. »

I roast in the garage and have an air compressor so I keep mine clean. Additionally, with teh "B" model you can regulate airflow, and if you have the HTC+TC4C system, the computer control in conjunction with the single filter (which flows plenty of air) gives all the airflow you need (IMO, of course).

There are a lot of variables. For example, if your voltage is around 109-112 then recovery time after using the full-flow of air is slow. With 120-122 volts it is much faster. Also, the "P" model is even slower because of the binary heat control of that system. So basically, you have to tailor the filter to match your situation.

And with three filters (as J.K. wrote), it would be easy to rotate them for cleaning as they get dirty.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JohnB. »

If your voltage is down to 109-112v you should call the electric company & complain! I agree that with the single stainless filter you get all the airflow that's needed (B panel or computer panel) but I certainly don't see any reason to cut that flow in half by blocking off half the filter. The HTC+TC4 panel isn't going to get you anymore airflow then the B panel but I imagine it gives you finer adjustments.
LMWDP 267

JK

#20: Post by JK »

Randy,
I just had the needle nose pliers out removing one of the filters :)

I got the hammer out and flatten the folded aluminum edges more and they fit better now..
I may steal your idea of the four holes or punch a few dozen smaller ones around in a circle..

The SS top filter worked much better than what was left of the original :)

I may make a custom sheet metal piece with small holes or by some SS screening and fold it..

Thank for your suggestions..
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!