Hottop, Artisian, Arduino help please

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I am attempting to load the aArtisian PID sketch. I know nothing about Arduino other than I bought one from someone on this forum back in 2014 to connect my hottop to roaster logger using a macbook. Current day, I lost roasterlogger and have a windows computer. Looking to make the windows, hottop, artisian combo work. In short, I am on weekend 3 attempting to make this work without luck. Does anyone have a good step-by-step resource? I cant seem to find one.

Further information:
I did learn i need Arduino IDE to upload a sketch and associated library. I got the ino sketch in the IDE but when i hit upload I get an fatal error: user.h: No such file. Though I see it in the file when I look at the download I got from https://artisan-scope.org/devices/arduino/

I cannot not figure out how to load the library. When I try to go through the steps I found in the Ardino website. Sketch-> Include Library -> Add zip library. I receive an error that there are multiple files in top folder.

Any help is appreciated, you will also be helping my bank account by getting this to work right preventing me from buying a hottop upgrade kit or new roaster :wink:
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#2: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Quick update - making progress in a direction, whether its correct is too soon to tell...

For anyone who cannot get the library items to show up in IDE by going to sketch->Include Library, then see the list of files shown in the libraries folder from the orginial download. I found this: https://docs.arduino.cc/software/ide-v1 ... stallation

I had to unzip the original DL, copy/paste the libraries folder to where the IDE stores the sketchbook. Paste it outside of the aArtisan-V310 folder. I then had to close and open the IDE a couple times and long with unplug and replug the Arduino a couple times. It eventually showed up. Not sure which dice roll made it work.

I can now verify without error. I went to upload and now I receive: avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM3": Access is denied.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Well... A quick computer restart did it.

Problem solved for now. Thank you for following my public out loud thought process. If anyone else is tech niave and in the same spot I can try to help now. Possibly :?

Happy to not buy a new roaster, also disappointed I don't get to buy a nee roaster