Home Roasters Tamping Thoughts

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
clynch

#1: Post by clynch »

Hi, I have a Pavoni Lever. Love it. In the lever group they are all of the opinion you ALWAYS tamp to an exact pressure. I home roast normally light or medium. I love fresh roasts as they are more tart. With every day of resting the coffee changes as the c02 leaches out. Flavors get deeper, chocolates and carmels. I like the changing flavors from beginning to end. My roasts normally last me a week before I am out. Now my question. With the freshest roast I tamp lightly and get a great extraction. The more it ages the harder I tamp to maintain a standard/constant group head pressure. I find this to be easier than playing with the settings on my Lido E manual Grinder. Am I being stupid about this? Should I be striving to vary the grind as the coffee ages? I figure this group might have a different opinion because you guys roast. Love to get your thoughts and get my butt on the right track. Thanks!!
Charlie

Rickpatbrown

#2: Post by Rickpatbrown »

In my experience, tamping is the least important factor to get right. Beans, roast and grind are much more important.

But if it's working for you and you enjoy the process and end product ... Keep doing it.

I get poor extractions from super fresh roasts (1-2 days rest). CO2 prevents the water from penetrating the coffee.
You could get the same effect by grinding coarser.

About 1 week post roast seems to be peak goodness for most beans.
After 2-3 weeks, its getting stale.

I have always just tightened up my grind as I go (Mazzer mini or BPlus Apollo).

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Tamping serves mostly to distribute the coffee evenly in the basket. A manual lever gives you hands-on control of the coffee stream. You can use that control to get the flow rate you want.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Daily grind adjustments for espresso on any brew model Lido is ... challenging :twisted: - which is one reason why they had an espresso model Lido, and now the OG.

I find it easier to increase the dose. For example, in a Pavoni, with a fresh coffee (pulled the morning after roasting) I will dial in my Lido 2 with a 12g dose. Then I'll bump the dose up by, for example, a half gram each day (12g, 12.5g, 13g, 13.5g ...) That gets me to a 15g dose by the end of the week ... and then to start the next week I will go back to a 12g dose and dial in the grinder again. (The exact amounts to change depend on the coffee.)

The ideal solution is to adjust the grind daily, as increasing the dose will also affect the flavour, but daily grind adjustment on a brew model Lido or the Fixie is too much of a pain for me.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

clynch (original poster)

#5: Post by clynch (original poster) »

Thanks guys. You told me exactly what I was hoping for. I remember going into a coffee shop in Birmingham that was supposed to be excellent. I watched them make my latte. The tamping was absolutely horrible and at an extreme angle. The latte was delicious. I just started experimenting with changing the dose and more precise weighing. I like what Baldhearracing said. I'm in the EXACT same boat. I do vary my flow rate with my manual lever pressure.

I am having a blast with My espresso roasts and lever. You've put my mind at ease. Most appreciated. \

Thank you Baldhead, Drgary and Rickpatbrown. Made me feel great. I was right in asking the "Roasters" what to do. :D
Charlie

Milligan

#6: Post by Milligan »

I usually can't get a good consistent shot within my parameters until around 1 week of rest after roasting. If I pulled the day after then it would be a huge foamy stream. Stale coffee has to be ground quite fine to pull. I usually let the coffee rest for 1 week then it goes to the freezer until I will use it. I typically jar them in 3 day quantities and don't have to vary my shots very much during that time when I keep them in sealed mason jars. I used to use plastic freezer bags for my roasted coffee but found myself creating a lot of waste. I bought a few flats of Barr pint jars and wash them after use. Easy and I always have storage ready to go. I actually keep them all in the cardboard flats in the freezer. They fit perfectly.

Something to remember is that while tamping pressure doesn't matter too much, leveling the puck reduces channeling. You don't want the water to have an easier path on the low side compared to a high side. A level tamp is something to strive for but a heavy press doesnt matter. You can't press it anywhere as hard as what the puck experiences when 6-9 bar hits it.

clynch (original poster)

#7: Post by clynch (original poster) »

I have a small roaster and only make two batches in it. That gets me through a week. When or If I get a larger roaster then I will try the mason jars and freezer. Good idea, thanks.
Charlie

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Charlie:

You could roast a double load of coffee in an extended session, which will let some of it rest adequately. Then you can freeze that and use it while your later batch rests before going into the freezer. This will allow you to eliminate one parameter that prevents consistency.
Gary
LMWDP#308

clynch (original poster)

#9: Post by clynch (original poster) »

With you guys recommending freezing, I need to look into it. I never researched freezing coffee beans. No doubt, plenty of info right here. Freezing will put me ahead of the curve. Thanks. My freshroast roaster broke. I'm currently using iroast. Thinking of getting the larger fresh-roast that does a haff pond or going to the gene cafe. The hot top is a bit pricey for me. I retire in a couple years. I might treat myself to something like that, then.

I like watching the beans in the fresh roast. Can't hear cracks all that well anymore.
Charlie

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Coffee: To Freeze or Not to Freeze

I do it all the time. But what do I know?

Gary
LMWDP#308