Home Roasters Tamping Thoughts - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ojt

#11: Post by ojt »

I concur that tamping is perhaps the least important factor, as long as it's level you're good. There is though the thing that on Pavoni you might get a strong jet of water shooting from between the piston and the inlet hole towards the puck. In that case (and you will see a clear dimple in the puck if that happens) a good strong tamp may help mitigate the issue. Tamper and tamping force just happen to be one of the popular remarks people throw as a solution to whatever supposed issue, along with "grind finer".

Edit and full disclosure: I still use the plastic OEM tamper that I modified to fit perfectly in the basket, and I get pretty damn good extractions.
Osku

clynch (original poster)

#12: Post by clynch (original poster) »

And what are you roasting on?
Charlie

drgary
Team HB

#13: Post by drgary »

A North TJ-067. Here's a photo of Joel Elias and me offloading my roaster in 2013.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

clynch (original poster)

#14: Post by clynch (original poster) »

I bow my head in your general direction. That roaster is on a much higher level than my humble iRoast. Very Very cool! Thanks for the picture !
Charlie

drgary
Team HB

#15: Post by drgary »

FWIW I started with a FreshRoast, loaned to me by Alan Adler, the AeroPress inventor. That hooked me. Next, I bought a second-hand Hottop. Then I built a heat gun/bread machine roaster. I still have that as a backup.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

clynch wrote:I bow my head in your general direction. That roaster is on a much higher level than my humble iRoast. Very Very cool! Thanks for the picture !
I have a collection of iRoast2's - one for roasting small quantities, and the rest for parts. Someday Hearthware's patents on the roasting chamber design will run out and someone will make a better small fluid-bed roaster in what was the iRoast's market segment - but I haven't seen it yet.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada