Home-built chaff collector/cooler for Kaldi 400

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
roastingrick
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by roastingrick »

Hi fellow roasters. This is my first time sharing on this site but I have found many of the conversations very helpful! Thanks!
For anyone who's interested, I thought I'd share a video of a chaff collector/cooler I just built for my Kaldi 400. I'm fairly new to this type of coffee roasting and will be roasting with this new chaff collector setup in a few days. Sorry that my filmography skill aren't better!

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Very creative; post your results with it after you have done a few roasts.

So the gold sieve with small mesh catches the chaff, and then you remover that at the end of the roast and use the bigger mesh for cooling the beans? Do I understand that right?
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
roastingrick (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by roastingrick (original poster) »

I did a very crude mockup using the two sieves with the same exhaust fan (only did one roast to test) and it worked pretty well. You can get finer and coarser mesh sieves as well. I'll follow up after I do a few roasts with this setup.

Supporter ♡

#4: Post by roastingrick (original poster) »

I left the fine sieve in place with the chaff and placed the coarse mesh over it. The beans cooled down fairly quickly but I will also try it with removing the fine mesh sieve first.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Looks good. I would think the double method is fine. I use one of those like yours with the wider mesh to remove fine dust before roasting. Means I clean my fan less often. So I was happy to see those green mesh gold pans.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Rickpatbrown

#6: Post by Rickpatbrown »

The footprint looks really nice. The bean collector is stable and out of the way.

Something inside me just loves switches and control panels. IDK what it is. Maybe I was nuclear reactor engineer in a past life.

littlenut

#7: Post by littlenut »

roastingrick wrote:I left the fine sieve in place with the chaff and placed the coarse mesh over it. The beans cooled down fairly quickly but I will also try it with removing the fine mesh sieve first.
Shouldn't be a problem unless the chaff blinds the screen. Just check (feel) for a good air flow if concerned.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
littlenut

#8: Post by littlenut »

Hey Rick, watched your video again and I noticed the igniter on the burner. Did you add that? If so any details (parts list, purchase links, pictures) would be appreciated. I hadn't thought about adding one before, but that would be much handier than a handheld one.

TIA,
-Tom

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by roastingrick (original poster) »

Hey Tom, below is the link to the igniter I used. There are a number of options on Amazon. I had to make a couple of simple brackets. The trick is to find the right spot to get a good spark that will ignite the gas. I also had to place a couple of flat washers to provide a minimal gap between the burner and the roaster. It would not ignite without the gap. It puzzled me at first and then I figured it out. I'll post a couple of photos as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K6BTFJH/

littlenut

#10: Post by littlenut »

roastingrick wrote:Hey Tom, below is the link to the igniter I used.
Thanks Rick. :-)