Help with Phidgets for Controlling Drum Motor

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ronncat

#1: Post by ronncat »

I have been working on automating the controls on my new Cormorant Roaster. So far I have succeeded in controlling gas pressure control and fan speed. I am stuck on controlling the drum motor speed however.

I have connected the fans and the drum motors each to Phidget DCC1002s and have created buttons under Config>Events to control them. The DCC 1002s are connected to a Vint HUB along with a TMP 1101 and an OUT1001 (To control the stepper motor driver)

I have worn myself out trying to figure out how to get Artisan to address the drum motor DCC1002. I have tried numerous methods, and all obviously incorrectly to get it to work. I have scanned 66 pages of Phidgets searches... I have tried configuring an extra device, specifying a port following the serial number of the hub in the command and lots of other things. For me, It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The two DCC1002s are plugged into ports 3 and 4 in the HUB. They both are addressable and work fine using the Phidgets control panel.

I just need to know how to document the 2nd DCC for the motor that is on port 4 so I can control it with my buttons. I know this is probably child's play for most of those familiar with Phidgets and Artisan, but I'm having a rough time figuring it out. Thanks in advance for your help. :oops:

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

If you need to send commands, it looks like setTargetVelocity() is the function you need to call, but that ends my abilities other than suggesting there must be some include file or library you'll need to use so that the command is understood.

Ira

ronncat (original poster)

#3: Post by ronncat (original poster) »

I think that I'm narrowing down my issue. I believe that I need to set the current that the DCC phidget will provide. The fans work fine without setting this up, but the drum motor requires more current in order to begin rotating. I believe the default must be under an amp or so, because when I go to the Phidget Control Panel, I need to increase the Current limit to at least 3A and more like the Max of 4A to get the motor to begin rotating. Once it is rotating, the speed is controllable using the Target Velocity slider.

The Artisan documentation lists velocity, acceleration, current limit and sleep as commands, but I was unable to get any combination of these to work. I think there needs to be a command that will enable setting the current to max 4A and the problem would be solved.

Hopefully someone will be able to figure out how to do this. Not really in mood to rewire the PWM motor controller and Pot back into my Cormorant so I can roast. Actually, could probably just run full voltage to the drum motor with a cutoff switch.

Once again, thanks in advance...

#4: Post by ronncat (original poster) »

So...
Surfing the web looking for answers to my problem... I stumble across this...

https://github.com/artisan-roaster-scop ... issues/626

It was a request for someone having the exact same problem as me. Better yet, there is a solution!!! MAKOMO to the rescue. My question is however, when might the solution be incorporated into Artisan? Or will there be a simple way to add the fix. I don't know how all the github stuff works. I just hope it's sooner than later :lol:

#5: Post by ronncat (original poster) »

UPDATE...

I joined Github last night and sent a message to Marko. This morning I had a reply in my email along with a link to the solution. Installed the "new" Artisan and the problem was fixed. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to Marko for his incredibly quick response to my plea. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Once I get my Cormorant all buttoned back up, I may do a little build post in case anyone is interested in how I was able to gain control of the gas, fan and drum controls within Artisan. Having spent the last 4 years roasting on a Quest M3 that I modified to do essentially the same, I am relieved to not have to manually turn dials and then enter my actions in Artisan.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Ron, thanks for posting the update. Yes more complicated questions such as this are best suited for the Discussions on GitHub for a variety of reasons including linking other Artisan resources. Also thanks for donating. There will continue to be changes to the way support is handled as well as we hope some exciting integrations with Artisan Plus. Thanks again Ron for posting.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso »

ronncat wrote:UPDATE...

I joined Github last night and sent a message to Marko. This morning I had a reply in my email along with a link to the solution. Installed the "new" Artisan and the problem was fixed. I cannot begin to express my gratitude to Marko for his incredibly quick response to my plea. THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Once I get my Cormorant all buttoned back up, I may do a little build post in case anyone is interested in how I was able to gain control of the gas, fan and drum controls within Artisan. Having spent the last 4 years roasting on a Quest M3 that I modified to do essentially the same, I am relieved to not have to manually turn dials and then enter my actions in Artisan.
1. Yet another reason for all of us that use it to support the Artisan project with a donation. How lucky are we to have this at our disposal!

2. Please do post your build when you can. I am very interested in controlling gas pressure on my Cormorant from Artisan.
LMWDP #580