Help needed with my Huky 500 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Brewzologist »

Interesting and a bummer. I wonder how many Huky users this has ever happened too. But hopefully an easy fix that either Showroom or Mr. Li can remedy fairly inexpensively? Did the drum shaft have any damage to it? Maybe I should get an extra sleeve myself just in case.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by hankua »

I'm not home to take a look, but I'd re-tap it with something a wee bit larger diameter. Don't use a cheap tap :roll:

Marcelnl

#23: Post by Marcelnl »

Can you post a picture? I had a quick peek but am not clear where the issue is, is it the shaft coupling piece or the shaft itself?
If it's the coupling I'd indeed drill out to the next size and tap a new hole as mentioned in the previous post.
LMWDP #483

Talyn (original poster)

#24: Post by Talyn (original poster) »

Thankfully I did get in touch with Mr Li. He was super responsive and felt from the pics I sent that
the sleeve piece was too large. I am not sure how that happened since it was all supplied by Showroom.

I went ahead and ordered a new drum and collar piece to be safe. I felt it was reasonable in terms of price.

Talyn (original poster)

#25: Post by Talyn (original poster) »

I tried and the pics were not uploading. I will try from a laptop tomorrow if I can. I have never tapped out a hole or tried that sort of thing. I bet I could eventually figure it out though.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by Brewzologist »

FWIW, the transition sleeve/collar on my Huky has always had a little play in it laterally and along the axis for both the drum and motor shafts. eg. The drum will turn about 1/8 of a rotation before the sleeve catches. Same for the motor shaft.

So I'm guessing with your Huky, the motor seized while the drum was rotating with a charge in it and that caused the drum and sleeve to strip?

Sidenote: I wonder if a flexible servo collar could be used between the drum and motor to absorb shock and maybe even fail before causing the motor or drum shaft to strip?

Talyn (original poster)

#27: Post by Talyn (original poster) »

I mean there must be a reasoning behind that play. But I cannot figure it out. It seems to me that the ideal would be a tight and solid connection which would prevent the bolt stripping. It does seem that this is a rather isolated issue as no one has been like, "oh yeah that happens to all of us". lol

Talyn (original poster)

#28: Post by Talyn (original poster) »

Back in business now after I season the new drum. I checked the new bolt vs the old one. Both the flat surfaces and the points on the bolts were .1 MM smaller on my original bolt. Also the inside dimension of the old adaptor is .6 MM larger than the new one. I hand tested the new adaptor on the old drum. It seemed fine. But at this point I do not want to chance it. I will deal with the 45 mins and 3 lbs of seasoning in order to be sure we are good. I had some valuable lessons reinforced in this process and I learned a ton. I think I will order a few back up adaptors just in case and regularly check them out.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by hankua »

Good to hear all is well!

According to Mr. Li, Huky's are ready to roast consumable coffee; brand new out of the box. That being said, I'd roast a few seasoning batches myself on a new drum as well.