Having trouble setting up a USRC 1lb with Artisan

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RWK

#1: Post by RWK »

Good evening to everyone. I have recently acquired a new to me US Roaster Corp sample roaster. I have roasted a bit with it and have been logging my roast by hand but am now attempting to use Artisan. The roaster came equipped with a Phidget 1048. The previous owner was using Cropster. I have installed Artisan and the Phidget drivers along with the Phidget control panel on my computer. With a cold roaster, Artisan shows a BT of 805 F plus or minus a few degrees while showing a correct 71 F in the Phidget control panel. I did close the control panel before opening Artisan so they were not running at the same time. I have checked everything I can think of but have not found an answer. I feel like it has to be something simple but I can't find it. I will attach a couple screen shots to show what I'm seeing. Any pointers would be appreciated.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

How did you configure devices in Artisan? Did you use Config>Machine>Phidget>USB 1048 DataBridge?

Post screenshots of your Config>Device tabs.

If you manually entered settings, you might try saving them under the Help Menu, performing a reset, and running the configuration.

Also how many TCs do you have and are you sure they are Type K.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

TallDan

#3: Post by TallDan »

If the computer is a laptop, do you have the same issue plugged in and running on battery? If it's not a laptop, do you have a USB isolator between the computer and phidget?

RWK (original poster)

#4: Post by RWK (original poster) »

It is currently equipped with only one TC for the BT. I did a little more checking and it appears that the TC may be a J type based on the red and white color coding in the wires. Yes, I believe that I used Config>Machine>Phidget>USB 1048 DataBridge. I will attach a couple more screenshots.
I am not using an isolator, but can certainly get one.

RWK (original poster)

#5: Post by RWK (original poster) »

I see that the screenshot shows that it is set for K type TC, I did set it to J and it still was showing the wrong temp.

TallDan

#6: Post by TallDan »

These are very sensitive to ground loops. I have a different roaster but the same phidget. If my laptop is plugged into power I get readings like yours. I also get them when trying to use a raspberry pi for artisan. Basically anything with a path to ground will need an isolator.

Edit: oh. I misread and didn't realize that you get correct readings in the phidget control panel. That would suggest that the issue is not a ground loop unless something changed between when you tested in the control panel and when you tested in artisan.

RWK (original poster)

#7: Post by RWK (original poster) »

That is correct, it seems to be consistently correct in the control panel, but an isolator would probably still be a good idea. Do you have a recommendation for one or does most any one work?

TallDan

#8: Post by TallDan »

I don't have a recommendation, I've been using artisan on a laptop and just always roast while on battery power. I do need to adjust my setup though, and should probably go ahead and get one as well. There are a couple of them on amazon and i'll probably just give one of those a shot unless i decide to replace my phidget and go in another direction.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Try reversing the TC wires and make sure there are no symbolic equations anywhere on any tabs. Shouldn't be if you did the RESET I mentioned.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

RWK (original poster)

#10: Post by RWK (original poster) »

I have tried reversing the TC wires and have did the reset with no different results. Now please forgive my ignorance, but what are the symbolic equations you are referring to? I really appreciate your input here because I am in over my head.