Have you converged on a few roast profiles? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#21: Post by Marcelnl »

what is your drop temp on that?

I always thought I liked medium/dark roasts but found that my drop temp is pretty light at 207-208'C, probably 1:30 after FC

The current roast and learn Ethiopian produces blueberry flavors by the bucket, without high acidity...great bean!
LMWDP #483

randytsuch

#22: Post by randytsuch »

For people like me without a roastvision, what's the weight loss ratio?
That's the only objective measure I can think of, I struggle with judging beans by color.

Wondering if I should try to go for longer roasts and see how they turn out.

Randy

Marcelnl

#23: Post by Marcelnl replying to randytsuch »

My 2cts as a someone without agtron , roastvision or similar; longer (what is short and what is long?) is not worth it, and drop temp is more informative than anything else...loss ratio< I dunno since I never weigh the result.
LMWDP #483

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#24: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Marcelnl wrote:what is your drop temp on that?

I always thought I liked medium/dark roasts but found that my drop temp is pretty light at 207-208'C, probably 1:30 after FC

The current roast and learn Ethiopian produces blueberry flavors by the bucket, without high acidity...great bean!
Who are you asking? It's in my post. One needs to look at degrees past first cracked start and not drop temp because every roaster will hit first crack at a different place.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Marcelnl

#25: Post by Marcelnl »

sort of a double post....I was wondering where youre drop temp is at since converting a temp difference from F to C in my head is not something I can do on the fly...being a confessing dyscalculist :oops:
LMWDP #483

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#26: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to Marcelnl »

Why not use Artisan to do that for you? You can quickly go back-and-forth. Also you can use profile Transposer to convert one profile to another that might fit your machine better, depending on first crack start.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by Milligan »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:My phone is full of of heartwarming messages from those that like it darker. Probably not as kindly put as you said it Tim.

I am not yet decided, but with more heresy I will share this. I roasted an Ethiopian YIRGACHEFFE WELDE HIRBE NATURAL GR1 to RV 13, and used it 30% in my Terry's Blend. She loved it; said it was really balanced. So who knows, I guess I need to go darker. The next week will be interesting.
Reminds me on the Ethiopian coffee in the box of chocolate collection that Sweet Maria did. I roasted it to around a 14-15 and it was very nice. It had a chocolate and coconut flavor like a Mounds candy bar. Exceptional. I gave some samples to a friend that enjoys darker roasts and she was wanting more of the Ethiopian after trying it. It was so good that I went to Sweet Maria to buy a 20lb bag but it was sold out.... It definitely makes me want to explore some darker roasts of Ethiopian.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by yakster »

I have converged on a general roast profile that I use with my Bullet but my first roast of that Philippines Batangas Liberica coffee I picked up from New Orleans Coffee Import got away from me so I dropped my pre-heat from 275 C to 260 C for the second roast last weekend and I felt that I was much more in control of the roast. The first one went well into second crack and ended up being oily, roasty, and exhibiting sweet pork notes that were interesting but not compelling. This roast I took just past first crack and I'm getting nice sweet notes and notes of leather.

I almost always roast 600 gram batches which helps with consistency, but also means that it's longer between roasts and I have a lot of coffee on hand no matter how it turns out. I've though about adding a smaller batch size to my schedule but I've roasted enough coffee on the Bullet now so most of my roasts make me happy, but I'm enjoying the Liberica challenge. I'm also having to deal with more green coffee defects to cull before the roast and more quakers afterwards.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#29: Post by Milligan replying to yakster »

You need a few friends to sell the coffee to. Unload that coffee and make room for more roasts :D

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#30: Post by LBIespresso »

I kind of had settled on one profile but after this last iteration from Rob Hoos and reading all of all y'alls responses here, I am excited to play around more. I see a bright and long future for this topic.

Thanks for kicking this off Steve!
LMWDP #580