Happy Mug Ethiopia Halo Bariti, Jan 2022 arrival - how is it? blueberry bomb?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Trjelenc

#1: Post by Trjelenc »

Curious if anyone's roasting this bean they currently sell. Recently got through the last of my HM Ethiopia Durato Bombe from October last year, and it either wasn't as much of a blueberry bomb, or I am became desensitized to it.

The description of this Halo Bariti notes strong blueberry and a June review does as well, but I want to be sure before diving in.

https://happymugcoffee.com/products/eth ... alo-bariti

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by Milligan »

The best blueberry Ethiopian I've had this year is CBC's Misty Valley. I've had it at a 26 roast vision and it tastes like blueberry tea and I've taken to a medium roast and still lots of blueberry. Easy bean to roast. It is quite pricey right now at $8.50/lb. I picked up several pounds when they ran it on sale a few months ago. I've tried quite a few other Ethiopian naturals this year and keep coming back to the Misty. Sorry that doesn't help you on this particular bean.

Advertisement
addertooth

#3: Post by addertooth »

I will double down on what was already said by Milligan. The Coffee Bean Corral Ethiopia Misty Valley bean has a clear and repeatable Blueberry taste.
As you go darker, chocolate starts to come forward. As the coffee cools in the cup, you get a "blueberry bonbon" note coming forward. There is a reason why it is one of CBCs top 3 sellers. Just an additional note on this bean, it produces floral as well. If you are a floral "hater", this may affect how you feel about it. If you like floral it enhances the bean. Hit this one hot and fast with a drop at 20 percent development.

I got it in a 3 pound bag, and do half pound (227 gram) batches due to limitations in my roaster. The bag is going fast. Next time I will order it in a larger bag.

Given a choice, I would skip the "grade 3" Halo beans, and go for the Misty Valley.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mkane »

5# ordered

wingnutsglory
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by wingnutsglory »

Trjelenc wrote:Curious if anyone's roasting this bean they currently sell. Recently got through the last of my HM Ethiopia Durato Bombe from October last year, and it either wasn't as much of a blueberry bomb, or I am became desensitized to it.

The description of this Halo Bariti notes strong blueberry and a June review does as well, but I want to be sure before diving in.

https://happymugcoffee.com/products/eth ... alo-bariti
I got zero blueberry from a number of attempts. It wasn't bad but not at all as advertised (for me).

mkane
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane »

We roasted some of this yesterday. I'll give it a while.

JNick916

#7: Post by JNick916 »

I usually love Halo Bariti, but this year's crop was disappointing.
Does anyone know what crop that Misty Valley is? I need some more blueberry bomb, but I don't want to order something old when so many new ones are landing.

Advertisement
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Milligan replying to JNick916 »

It was last year's crop that I think CBC still has. They've upped the price quite a bit on what is left. I just roasted some more from that crop. You need to go light to get the blueberry. Medium brings out more dried fruit and chocolate. It is getting to be old stock so your mileage may vary.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Peppersass »

I roasted the CBC Misty Valley to 28/29 on my Roast Vision, and while the espresso was bright and "fruity", and very tasty, I didn't get a distinct blueberry flavor like I've gotten on "blueberry bombs" in the past.

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I've done three roasts of that Misty Valley. I always munch a bean once it's cooled down. One of those beans had a strong blueberry flavor, so it's in there. So far I'm not having it show up in the cup, so I've got more to try and tease it out. For yesterday's roast the bean probe failed and I roasted with a cooler ET at charge and by watching ET and the trier. I dropped it 1:40 into 1C. It ran too long so I cooked out the fruit notes but it is very drinkable. My next roast will be much faster.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!