Haiti Savane Zombie - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem
Team HB

#11: Post by mpdeem »

Nunas wrote:I've finished roasting this coffee. Here are my notes. The first roast was just into 2C. It was balanced, like Blue Mountain, but had a typical smokey roast taste that diminished after it had aged a week or so. It reminded me of why I quit roasting into 2C :wink:. The aftertaste, to me, was more like licorice than the dark chocolate usually mentioned by the vendors. The second roast was about 2º short of 2nd crack. The taste was about the same as the first, perhaps a little sweeter, and the smokey taste was gone. To me, the licorice aftertaste was way in the background and dark chocolate was emerging; one of our guests said it was chocolate, not licorice.
Really appreciate such detailed notes. The licorice note you mention sounds quite intrguing (and rather good).
Sounds like ending the roast just before 2nd Crack might be the way to go. There seems to be a delivate balance between roasting long enough for flavor development but avoiding too much roast influence in the form of Smokey notes.

Since I missed out on Burman's recent Haitian offerings, I am thinking of ordering some from IDC - especially after reading your tasting notes. Any recommendations?

Did you get a chance to age the second roast? In the past I have tended to consume my roasts without much rest beyond a few days. Now curious if a little more rest might help.

Thanks again for posting your notes. I was rather bummed out at missing Burman's crop so your notes served as a timely reminder to explore other sources.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

mpdeem wrote:<snip>Did you get a chance to age the second roast? In the past I have tended to consume my roasts without much rest beyond a few days. Now curious if a little more rest might help.<snip>
I try to time my roasts so that they sit for at least two days and up to a week before consuming. We started using the second roast about five days after the first one was finished. I just dumped it into the hopper atop the tail end of the first roast, and we noticed it immediately when it hit the burrs. I ran out of this coffee, otherwise, I'd have dumped a fourth batch another two degrees cooler than the last one, as I think it might be more to my current tastes.

mpdeem
Team HB

#13: Post by mpdeem »

Do you know where IDC's Haiti Savane is sourced? I am only familiar with coffees sourced through Singing Rooster and Café Kreyol.

This past year I did a comparison of several including Haiti Savane Haitian coffees from Burman Coffee Roasters (sourced from Singing Rooster) and Café Kreyol. The difference in flavor and batch prep between the two suppliers was quite distinct. Overall the Café Kreyol coffees had a distinct carob note and seemed to do better at slightly darker roasts. The Singing Rooster coffees had more of a classic rich dark chocolate caramel profile and did well at both light and darker roasts. The latter overall was more to my taste preferences - but I would be quite interested in doing another round of comparison roast. If anyone is interested in a virtual roast along -let me know.