Hacea Coffee Impressions - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by pcofftenyo »

I don't know a green's seller that holds onto a sample roast a couple weeks before posting their cupping notes without expressly saying so.

The standard seems to be cup around 24-48 hours after roasting to a sample profile, not a production profile.

I guess the exception would be when going on tour the seller will roast up larger sample batches to use at each destination and not try to roast each one there.

Try to cup it instead of drink it and see what you get.

Squeezin' Beans

#42: Post by Squeezin' Beans »

The aromas of Miso/soy sauce are highly heat sensitive. When cooking with either the recommendation is always to add those ingredients towards the end/ off heat with a few notable exceptions. The idea is that if added to early/ too much heat applied the aromas will be removed.

Hopefully that allows more clarity as to what is going on.

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#43: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

mpdeem wrote:I would be interested to hear Jared's response. In my very limited expierence with soy-miso savory anaerobics, allowing the coffee to rest may allow those flavows to settle and become less intense...but they usually remain in some shape or form. I had one really soy sauce type anaerobic natural develope more fruit and even a hint of rose petals after a week's rest...but the soy note remained -albeit a little more restrained and balanced by the other flavors. Even with the rest and additional flavor developement, the soy notes were a distinct presence - they did not by any means, dissappear.

Thanks for updating your expierence...would be curious to see what future roasts and brews are like.
He said for cupping purposes he does not treat anaerobic any differently than other coffees to keep a consistent quality standard. He did note that many anerobics and some naturals do open up more after a few additional days of rest. I'm thinking either a) I was overly sensitive to a specific note, b) I'm misrepresenting the perceived flavor I experienced, or c) my roast profile exacerbated an otherwise small fermented note that would typically dissipate quickly or be far overshadowed by other notes.

I have had weird perceptions of flavors in coffees in the past. One specifically I remember was at a guided cupping. I could have sworn up and down that a coffee had a pepper note but everyone else in the group caught a berry note. These differences in perceived flavors have intrigued me. The instructor said this is quite common and it is why Q-graders have to "recalibrate" every so often.

I've got quite a bit left to enjoy but I'll chime back in when I roast the next batch of Don Victor. I'm enjoying it now.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by buckersss »

Hi All,

I thought I'd chime in on my experience with Hacea.

- Short version -
Great experience, very pleasant coffee, fantastic communication. I will be ordering again.

- Long version -
I'll try not to drag this on.

Before Christmas I was on vacation in Florida and placed an order with Hacea. The shipping was free using a web promo as this was my first time ordering.

I was going to be there for about 10 more days. Given the upcoming holidays, Hacea wasn't sure if the package would arrive on time. They reached out and instead shipped the package to my Canadian address. Hacea generously extended the free shipping option to my Canadian address. UPS was the courier.

In hind sight, if I was resolved to receive this order while in the USA, I should have placed the order more in advance (as Christmas was approaching). I was preoccupied though and didn't get the time to look through their offerings until I was on vacation.

My order was about $90cad. When the package arrived UPS was requesting $50cad for brokerage fees. Over 50% brokerage fees on an item that is supposed to pass through the border with no tax, or duty. How lovely.

I asked UPS to provide me the forms to self clear, which I have done successfully with other couriers in the past. They refused. I contacted my local CBSA branch and they said UPS was legally obligated to provide me these forms. Called UPS back. UPS still refused to provide me the forms.

Jared offered to reached out and talk to UPS. After Jared had multiple communications with them, UPS eventually agreed to release the package without any duties. I felt bad Jared had to waste time with this. Hacea went above and beyond IMO.

For other Canadians reading this, UPS stated that this fee waiving was a one time exception. I confirmed the reshipper I have used in the past, "Shippsy", will bring (un)roasted coffee across the boarder. I didn't initially think to do this as Shippsys website says no raw nuts or fruit. When I had spare time, I reached out to Shippsy and they confirmed that there would be no issue. Shippsy offers a reshipping service, but depending on where one may be located in Canada, you can pick up from one of their offices while only paying the flat package fee. Which I've done a number of times with great ease. I'm sure other reshipper offer similar services.

https://shippsy.com/contact-us/locations/

Anyways, I digress, onto the coffees.

I ordered 2kg of Indonesia Sumatra Sidikalang Wahana Estate.
https://haceacoffee.com/products/indone ... tate-0047c

And another 2kg of Guatemala Huehuetenango Chq'Ul Sauco.
https://haceacoffee.com/products/guatem ... q-ul-sauco

I have only roasted the Sumatran so far.

I don't have Aristan yet. I appreciate that with Hacea one can take advantage of Artisan plus. I can't wait to get around to this. For now I'm only using a Fresh Roast. All told I think I roasted for about 7 minutes 30 seconds.

I have drank and roasted a number of Sumatrans in the past. The tasting notes on this one are:
LIGHT HERBALS • BITTER-SWEET CHOCOLATE • ALMOND • GRAPEFRUIT • MEDIUM ACIDITY • HEAVY

At first, this coffee wasn't exactly what I was expecting. There was more acidity than anticipated. I thought the coffee would be a bit more mild in this manner because it was a Sumatran. I drink straight espresso and generally don't really like acidic coffees. I have roasted quality greens from Big Island before, and this reminded me of those a bit.

Still, the coffee has been very good. The shots I've had are very creamy and smooth. There is a good amount of body, and the texture is very enjoyable. I can taste a hint of almond butter, and do pick up the bittersweet chocolate.

I got no floral notes (I was happy about this). I got a bit of citrus finish, I think it was more lemony if anything.

I've pulled some shorter ristrittos at about 1:1. I found the acidity drops off drastically. These shots have been more muted from that perspective. Very syrupy. And much more enjoyable personally.

I did bring some into work and made a French press with them. I was using a cheap ish conical grinder, but still tried to use the correct grind size and recipe. It tasted nice. It was easy drinking and clean. I could pick out nuttiness with the French press. I shared it with a coworker who has a breville 807 and home, and typically makes only milk drinks. The coworker commented that they really liked the French press - and they never drink coffee without milk.

All and all a very exciting and fun experience. Coffee is definitely better than the standard greens I have been roasting. I'm exciting to try the Guatemalan, and also excited to place future orders.

Trjelenc

#45: Post by Trjelenc »

Decided I would give Hacea a try. Yesterday I ordered 3 coffees, 5.5kg. Would be interested to know if anyone else has had these:

Guatemala Palencia Finca La Pia La Aurora Washed
https://haceacoffee.com/collections/gre ... ora-washed

I love a good Guatemala and their description was very enticing. I'll be very happy if this is a coffee with chocolate notes at the light-medium end of the spectrum

Costa Rica Tres Milagros Santuario Project Villa Sarchi Mossto Anaerobic Natural
https://haceacoffee.com/collections/gre ... ic-natural

Ethiopia Guji Shakiso Gigesa Washed
https://haceacoffee.com/collections/gre ... a-washed-1

I do find it a bit off-putting that so many of their offerings are 1-2 seasons old and still asking what I'd consider a premium price. I noticed a similar thing with Showroom. But I'll let the taste speak for itself

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#46: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to Trjelenc »

I have had the first of them and enjoyed them. At that time, they had a big variety of great Guats.

FWIW on the aging, they do seem to have some they are now trying to move along.
I have had 4 20kg bags of this one. My customers love it. And it's 2022 also. The beans are holding up fine I think.

El Salvador Finca Colomba Nazareno #2 Bourbon Reposado Natural
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart