Hacea Coffee Impressions - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mpdeem
Supporter ❤

#31: Post by mpdeem »

Back on topic....has anyone tried the Colombia Finca Luisa Juan Pablo Pacamara Natural or the Colombia Tolima Finca El Mirador Don Victor Washed from Hacea?

MNate

#32: Post by MNate »

I bought a variety of Centrals and started with three of the washed Guatemalans. Roasted Med++ on the Ikawa Home with a profile from one of their Guat Washed beans. First, all the beans were really stellar and I picked out 3 or 4 beans per 100g usually.

Our favorite for our taste was the Max Perez Finca La Hermosa. (We always drink as Cap with 100g milk). It has very nice chocolate and is nice and sweet. We especially liked it when we blended 50/50 with the Brazil we use. Turbo Shot or classic were both great, but I think I prefer the slower flow rates. A very nice comfort coffee that we'd definitely love as our daily drinker.

The Palencia Finca La Pia Aurora and the Antigua JuaJa Rosario both had more acidity (described as Bright, after all) and I guess that's just less our favorite. They actually worked very well for us as a smaller amount blended in to add some nice nuance to our cup.

I don't suppose that adds anything to the discussion other than another vote for being very impressed and that I feel like the descriptors will be helpful in ordering.

I still have another 3 or so to try yet but roasting, resting, and trying various approaches takes a long time! Thanks for all the good insight offered by others on this thread!

Milligan (original poster)

#33: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

mpdeem wrote:Back on topic....has anyone tried the Colombia Finca Luisa Juan Pablo Pacamara Natural or the Colombia Tolima Finca El Mirador Don Victor Washed from Hacea?
I have some El Mirador Don Victor from my last order. I roasted the first batch a few days ago. I went with a light/medium at 22 roast vision due to their roast notes. I was most drawn to their cherry description and the cherry fermentation. I've had fruit fermented coffees before and they can be very potent. I've had two pour overs so far and, unfortunately, it has a slightly savory taste that throws me off. It is like someone made a great cup of coffee and put a couple of drops of soy sauce in it. I've heard of fermented coffees sometimes leaning that way and I've had that taste from pre-roasted experimental coffees but I have never tasted it in something I've roasted. Nothing sticks out in the roast profile that would signal a defect either.

I have another pound to roast so typically I'd develop more with a savory tasting coffee. Hopefully a medium roast would knock that out.

#34: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

Also revisited the Tabi. I did another batch about 2 weeks ago and let it rest in an airtight jar. I burped it from time to time to let the CO2 out. Anyway, very very good! I'd forgotten some of the flavor notes so I made a V60 and decided to try to pick them out and see if it matched what I had in my notes before. First thing I thought was strawberry. Then it had a lot of upfront sweetness with a little tartness in the finish (not much just a bit.). The aftertaste was ripe berry. Very pleasant and even better after resting. I haven't had good success as espresso though. It feels like the nuance isn't there as it is in the V60. Perhaps that is where a more unimodal grinder comes into play.

The strawberry really shines in pour over. I may have to order some more if they have it...

mpdeem
Supporter ❤

#35: Post by mpdeem replying to Milligan »

Sounds like it might be worth letting the Tabi rest - to let more of the the fruit-strawberry notes emerge. My initial roasts of the Tabi seemed more chocolate and savory, the fruit sort of hanging in the background. While I really enjoyed the Tabi, I was a little surprised that it was not more fruit forward. Sounds like a little patience was needed on my part-especially since I drank my roast rihgt away. Thanks for taking the time to do another roast and tasting of this coffee.

mpdeem
Supporter ❤

#36: Post by mpdeem »

Milligan wrote:I have some El Mirador Don Victor from my last order. I roasted the first batch a few days ago. I went with a light/medium at 22 roast vision due to their roast notes. I was most drawn to their cherry description and the cherry fermentation. I've had fruit fermented coffees before and they can be very potent. I've had two pour overs so far and, unfortunately, it has a slightly savory taste that throws me off. It is like someone made a great cup of coffee and put a couple of drops of soy sauce in it. I've heard of fermented coffees sometimes leaning that way and I've had that taste from pre-roasted experimental coffees but I have never tasted it in something I've roasted. Nothing sticks out in the roast profile that would signal a defect either.

I have another pound to roast so typically I'd develop more with a savory tasting coffee. Hopefully a medium roast would knock that out.
I really apperciate hearing your feedback - especially with regards to the soy note. I am not a fan of those soy-miso type notes that some anaerobics have. It would be interesting to see if with a medium roast or maybe a week's rest, the soy notes change or dissappear. Again with my very limited expierence, the soy notes can receded...but often remain at some level, part of the profile.

Look forward to hearing what it tastes like at a medium roast.

#37: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

The Don Victor sat for over a week. I ground 20g for a V60, smelled it, and decided to brew something else. Savory note was still there and strong in the grounds and didn't feel like having that this morning. I'll try again in a few more days...

Revisited Max Perez again. I really like this coffee... It is turning into a staple and I'm starting to appreciate the mouth feel. If it were priced just a bit lower then I'd do a large order. Hard to pay Ethiopian prices for a smooth Guate though at volume.

I recently roasted the rest of my Hacienda Sonora Villa Sarchi Natural. I shared some with a family friend when they came over and they loved it so much it went home with them :D

I noticed they got some El Salvador coffees in recently. Some look very interesting. Heavy body with dark fruits. Good for this time of year!

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by ShotClock »

I've roasted a few of their Guatemalans, including the Max Perez, and found them to be decent but not spectacular. I'm quite aware that this might be primarily an issue with my roasting though...

One coffee that I had from them that was spectacular was the washed Chiapas. A bit of citrus acidity with massive amounts of milk chocolate and a hint of almonds on the finish made it my favorite SO espresso yet. Unfortunately, i only realized how good it was after a couple of attempts at roasting, and then it was sold out. It was a pretty ugly coffee, looked like there was either milling or processing damage, but seemingly no effect on the taste.

My one minor criticism of Hacea is that I'd much prefer resealable 1lb bags for those of us roasting less than 1lb batches.

#39: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

mpdeem wrote:I really apperciate hearing your feedback - especially with regards to the soy note. I am not a fan of those soy-miso type notes that some anaerobics have. It would be interesting to see if with a medium roast or maybe a week's rest, the soy notes change or dissappear. Again with my very limited expierence, the soy notes can receded...but often remain at some level, part of the profile.

Look forward to hearing what it tastes like at a medium roast.
I've got some interesting news on the Don Victor. I reached out to Jared at Hacea to see if there was supposed to be a soy/miso note. He said no. He doesn't like those notes and specifically looks for fermented coffees without them. I followed up with him to see what could have been my issue (brew, roast, ???). However! It has been 2 weeks post roast so I decided to give it another go. I switched methods to a traditional bloom + single pour using a V60. The coffee is exactly as described now. This one has me a bit confused. I'd think perhaps the 2 week rest removed the fermented notes but followed up with Jared to see if this seems right. I doubt he waits 2 weeks post roast to cup his coffees...

For whatever reason, the coffee is chocolatey, heavy body, and has a definite cherry note with a bit of clean acidity. Good all the way to cold.

mpdeem
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by mpdeem replying to Milligan »

I would be interested to hear Jared's response. In my very limited expierence with soy-miso savory anaerobics, allowing the coffee to rest may allow those flavows to settle and become less intense...but they usually remain in some shape or form. I had one really soy sauce type anaerobic natural develope more fruit and even a hint of rose petals after a week's rest...but the soy note remained -albeit a little more restrained and balanced by the other flavors. Even with the rest and additional flavor developement, the soy notes were a distinct presence - they did not by any means, dissappear.

Thanks for updating your expierence...would be curious to see what future roasts and brews are like.